Notices

9 days sober and can't handle emotions - want to quit my job.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 days sober and can't handle emotions - want to quit my job.

Hi everyone, I just need to vent and hope for some guidance. I'm sober 9 days and I have a very high stress job. I used to just let things blow by and not worry too much about everything, but now that I'm sober, it seems like the s... is hitting the fan everywhere and I can't seem to handle the stress. I threatened to quit today to someone, and I just feel this heightened sense of anxiety. I feel great physically, but can't seem to calm down to think rationally about what is happening at work. I can't tell if things really are bad, or if it is just my heightened awareness of the realities of my job. Anyway, I am not thinking of drinking to escape, but not sure if I am thinking clearly and don't want to say or do something stupid because I am dealing with things that I used to drink away. not sure what to do...
Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I'd suggest time off, either vacation or mental health days or sick days or whatever. New sobriety can cause some irrational thinking and some spontaneous utterances. Generally, stability right now may not be your strong point. And, it sounds like you are serious enough about your sobriety to put it first.

I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your employment in today's economy without a die-hard backup plan!

Good luck in your sobriety!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa, welcome!

I also experienced a lot of anxiety after I got sober. I was constantly panicked and easily tearful at work, although I love my job (I am an activities director at a nursing home and I absolutely love my residents - I wake up eager to see them again each day.) I made an appointment with a psychiatrist and got treatment for my anxiety (Cymbalta - I did not want Xanax and to trade one addiction for another). He also said that I was drinking to self-medicate my anxiety, so of course my anxiety was ramped up once I quit drinking. It was like taking away my "medicine". I'm glad to report now that three weeks later I am doing so much better. Anxiety is in check once again and I can handle life sober.

If I were you I would see a doctor ASAP. Of course it's Friday afternoon - I had my breakdown where I finally decided to see a psychiatrist on a Friday afternoon (6 weeks ago today) - and I tearfully joked with my husband that "everything always breaks on a Friday." We've had plumbing problems, phone problems, and A/C problems on Fridays in the past so that you have to wait to be able to get them fixed! But depending on what time zone you are in, you might be able to still make an appointment today for a later date. And be persistent - the first 2 doctors I called couldn't see me for 2 months so I kept going until I found one who would see me in two weeks.

And yes, I agree with the above poster that you should use your time off now to cool off.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Hi Lisa! I had the same experience and closing my door and thinking things through helped. Not sure if you are in a program but I found attending early morning AA meetings sure helped. And when I couldn't get to the, just quiet time at the church near my office. Good luck, you have lots of support here.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Early sobriety is really difficult for most of us...

I use Praer to get in emotional balance...have you tried asking for peace and direction?

Welcome to SR....
Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted.

I think you will be able to find a middle-ground, instead of letting things blow by or getting overly stressed about work. Early sobriety is a time of adjustment for your mind, body and spirit, so try to be patient.

Try to enjoy the weekend and get outside and have a good time.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If you can take some time off I think it would help a lot. Early sobriety is a roller coaster ride. We start feeling feelings and don't know what to do with them.

I agree with a previous poster that you may well not be making decisions based on reality, but rather on your current perception of it. Everything, one way or another, WILL look different in a few weeks. Without drinking/drugs to turn to, we truly do have to find new ways of addressing life. It feels funny at first, and sometimes we feel pretty clueless, stumped and anxious.

I don't know what your job is, but I suspect that no one's world is going to end if you take some time off, or at least step back a little, even if you do go in each day. Everyone is likely to be better off with you sober, so rather than stress yourself out right now, over what you are not able to do or handle, realize that the investment you are making in your life, by getting sober, is one that will benefit everyone.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try to take some time off. The job market is really bad now and just being sober for 9 days is nothing to not get upset about with a stressful job. Try to relax on the weekend and see your doctor about your problems. He/she may put you on med for the anxiety/stress.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Try aa and find someone to walk you throughh all the steps as in Back to Basics. It helped me immensely!

Other suggestions are also good. Sobriety Is new action & learning new habits.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa, stress like that really sucks I know! Sometimes I feel my anxiety just building & building, overwhelmed with people & issues...arrgghhh! I've started planning way ahead, asking myself "what is going to make this day, week, event, etc. better?" I write it out, sometimes it's just going in a 1/2 hour earlier, or not procrastinating at all. For example on Fridays I always work an 11 hour shift. Today I was so overwhelmed & just feeling manic. For the first time in years, I called someone in to help, just for 4 hours. I was able to get in control & immediately I felt better. I went home 2 hours early and took a walk and had some cookies. I have another huge day tomorrow, but that's ok.

It's ok to feel stressed and anxious, just recognize and ask, what will help? Sometimes when we're in the anxiety spiral at work it is hard to step outside of ourselves and look, but it really does help to do that. I'm sorry this isn't very well stated! Please be careful threatening to quit....hang in there. Congratulations on your sober time! You can do it! Sober life is so much better
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

If your jobs worth keeping don't quit.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lisa
Welcome to SR

yeah early recovery really can be an emotional rollercoaster - but we do level out eventually.

I think generally it's better to wait things out rather than act impulsively tho - I changed a million ways from day 1 to day 90 - I'm glad I waited until I had a handle on who sober me was before I changed anything important in my life

D
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate to what others have said that you should get involved in a meeting or set up an appointment if possible. Don't quit for sure.

Personally, I went through a super-stressful withdrawal because I had JUST started a new job and decided to quit drinking. I experienced crazy mood swings, extreme irritability, anxiety, depression, and tremendous anger, all rolled into one. I shudder to think of what people thought of this "crazy new guy."

So no, I don't recommend just going through it like I did without taking some time off or something. It WILL get better, trust me. Just stick with it.