Notices

New to AA

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to AA

Hey everyone. This is day two of sobriety after binge drinking for 10 years. Feeling beaten, depressed, lack of focus, fatigued...just to name the top 4. I have a meeting that I found that I want to attend tomorrow morning, I'm looking forward to it. On the bright side, which is very difficult to see today, I slept well last night. My last binge wasn't a record setter (I had 8 drinks), so the withdrawal has not been as severe. I just need hope, thats all. I feel like I'm circling the drain. One day at a time would be great, but now I need to take it one hour at a time and pray for hope and for bedtime to come so I can escape being awake. I look forward to reading posts on your site and I cannot wait to find inspiration, which I know is here, I just have to find it. Thanks for reading.
Paul
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

MWP...congratulations on your decision to take control of your drinking. You have come to the right place. This site is of profound help and support, and is only as far away as your nearest internet connection.

And thanks for your post. I can relate to the minute by minute, hour by hour approach to regaining sobriety. My prayers and hopes are with you, for strength to overcome.

I was at a meeting last week where a fellow shared his white-knuckle experience, and shared that he had a near fatal seizure when going it alone, and then more seizures later in recovery. I don't say that to scare you, but I do recommend that you maintain some sort of close contact with someone in the event you need emergency care during detox. At least keep a phone within reach. Although I have been through recovery with and without help, I tried to remain cognizant of the dangers of withdrawal.

Again, congrats on your first steps toward recovery. Although it may be hard today, it will get easier. And you will get your life back.

Peace.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul,

Welcome!

My first day sober, I was living one minute at a time, so I know how you feel. There is always hope, much hope that you can and will get through this. We do understand how difficult this is.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Paul, and to the Fellowship of AA, should you decide it is right for you. Walking in the doors beaten is the best way to do it. We have a solution in AA that works for many people. I hope that you join us on the road to recovery and living a happy, joyous and free life!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi MidwestPaul - We're so glad you joined our group. I felt totally alone with my nightmare until I came here. I found so much support and understanding that I got up the courage to quit, when I had intended to just cut down. I was afraid of what would be on the 'other side' - the sober world seemed terrifying.

Not sure how inspiring it is, but I quit over 3-1/2 yrs. ago after being a slave to alcohol my entire adult life. I didn't know how to make a move without it - I was convinced life would be dull and pointless in a sober state. I found out it was just the opposite - I didn't need to be numb & in a fog. I was barely existing. Now I meet life head on with eyes wide open. I don't feel the need to buffer myself from reality. I feel free.

You have a great attitude. We look forward to hearing how the meeting goes & to learning more about Paul.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Circling the drain pretty much describes the state I was in before I found sobriety. And as you circle the drain, the downfall goes faster and faster. Now is a good time to put a stop to that.