Notices

should I try again...???

Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question should I try again...???

Well I slipped up last week and since then I drank on Friday, Saturday, Tuesday, and Wednesday...I had one beer today after work then went home... It is so so hard to think of never drinking ever again. But for the 12 days I was sober my head was so much clearer. I don't know what to do or if I can quit or if I can handle drinking...sorry this seems more like a diary entry, wishy washy vent then a thread...
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you know whats best for you Benny - you just gotta make your mind up whether you're ready for that yet.

The trouble is though, in my experience, the longer you wait to be ready, the worse things tend to get...

D
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bennybored View Post
But for the 12 days I was sober my head was so much clearer.
You just answered your own question, that one that is racing through your mind.

Get back up and keep going with the sobriety, because I promise it gets better
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wherever I travel, there I am.

Then don't think about "never drinking ever again."

Focus on having a clear head, being sober one minute, hour, day and think of the time you have been successfully sober. Each second, minute, hour, day of that time is golden. What's real is your sobriety.

Best wishes, just do your best!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hey, I was in Toronto recently. Went to an AA meeting, some church on Bloor St. just west of Spadina. Cool meeting, most diverse group of people I've ever seen at an AA meeting. Kinda hard to NOT fit in.

Try something different. Sobriety is 100 x better than alcoholic drinking.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Of course you should try again. Keep trying until you make it or die - one or the other will eventually happen. I always think of the possibility of serious damage being done should I drink again. I've been lucky to never have been pulled over or had anything "bad" happen to me due to drinking. My luck can't last forever tho and I don't want to get to the point where it runs out.

I know I've got another drunk in me but don't know if I've got any more recovery in me... and I don't want to find out. If it ain't broke, don't break it!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Keep trying!

I relapsed a lot. The mistake that I made was I used my relapses as an excuse to keep drinking for a long time because I felt guilty that I had relapsed. I used to feel guilty that I had drunk, so I would drink more. Does that make any sense at all? Of course not, it's insanity. Don't make the same mistakes I made.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

this evening at the meeting i attended a few people shared how good it feels to be sober, and how recognizing that feeling helps give them the strength to continue in their sobriety when they are triggered, since being drunk always always always leads to feeling terrible, and ruined lives - most importantly our own.

I wish you the best. keep coming back.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome back Benny. Your SR pass never expires; rather, it renews daily.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

WB Benny.

Relapse DOES NOT have to be part of the equation. I don't know your drinking habits but, if you're an alcoholic, you may or may not have many left in you ("safe" relapses). Additionally, if you're a chronic alcoholic, you'll find that all the "decisions you make" in the world to not relapse again will be completely useless. For some alcoholics, "that" they continue to drink is no longer a matter of will power or choice....they don't have a choice or the necessary power to do anything other than to continue drinking (until, of course, they find some additional power).

About a month or two ago I went to another AA funeral for a guy who, I'm sure, figured "I'll just get loaded tonight and give sobriety a shot again tomorrow." He didn't get that shot the next day and I'm pretty sure he didn't plan on dying that night on his couch watching TV.

There's at least one way I'm personally familiar with where you can get sober, get happy, never relapse and enjoy the rest of your life. That's recovery my friend.....that's what's available to you - if you want it. If you don't that's your call.

I hope you're willing to give real recovery a shot before you die like my friend did.