Notices

Depressed on day 34

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Depressed on day 34

About 17 days ago, my car got totaled while parked in a hit and run....and I am so worried about all this has brought about. First, there is the car search...I am not seeing much out there in my price range that looks very reliable... and the insurance check for $1,500 will take at least another 7 to 10 days to arrive, and the free rental car is now over, only lasted 7 days. I have no money to rent one on my own, and also no credit card to do so.

I'm worried about work next week when we resume Fall hours, on Wednesday. I can take the train down, but not back, as none run that late. It is a 40 mile drive. I have looked into car-pooling, but nobody is heading that way at 11: 30 PM. And, as the 'evening circulation supervisor', my duties are to close, and nobody wants my crappy hours.

I'm also scared of what all might be wrong when I do get another cheap car that runs, even if a mechanic checks it out, anything can still happen. My budget is about $3k to $3.5k, and that is really stretching it. I have no credit. Well, really bad credit. So I have been sad and worried, here, as this is taking much longer than I thought, and just not seeing any cars that look decent, and when I call on a lot of Craigs-List ads, they are fakes, and I end up getting things like, "hi, this is Linda. I like long walks on the beach, and cuddling in the sand...". And these are car ads. Almost everyone I call seems fake. In ways, I hate Craigslist because it has become like a monopoly, and there are few listings fort used cars I have found outside of it, at least for cheap ones. There is cars.com, but not much there, mostly pricey dealers. Arg. I wish that jerk would not have hit our car and totaled it...this is such a costly mess at a time I am really hurting financially, and barely getting by.

Then there is the HUGE issue of how to even get out and look at cars, since we do not have a car to go out looking, and mostly, my friends just ride bikes to work...so I can't think of anyone to ask...I just duuno what do do, and am scared.

Day 34, but feeling pretty depressed today, just so scared about the car issue, and life in general, holding down this job, and getting by. Not going to drink, but really sad today, I wish this would hurry up and be over, as it is eating up so much time and money and energy.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought of moving and living close to where you work?

Maybe you could try to approach the problem with a different perspective and look at living in a different area?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm, I have thought of that. Have looked for a job closer to home for 5 years, now. And as for living closer to work, my partner would still be working in Baltimore...plus, it costs a lot more to live closer to DC...and, as for moving, there is the $/credit issue...I have zero credit, so really hard to find a place, in that situation. Not to mention the costs of moving, deposits, and the fact I just renewed a years lease where I live now. Urg, this has been hard. It is hard, not to make much money.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the hassles Husky.
I have no suggestions, but I wish you luck in working it out

D
Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry, HuskyPup. I think you should be proud of yourself for staying on track despite these challenges. I'm sure recovery will ultimately benefit the other aspects of your life, too. Keep it up—better days lay ahead
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I will manage to find a way though this, somehow, and not drink!

I just can't wait till it settles down, such that things get more back to 'normal'. Next week, taking the train will mean 14 hours a day spent in work/commuting...with getting ready for work, cooking, cleaning, and what not, it leaves me pretty much no time for other things, like relaxing. I can read on the train, though, so there is that
Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, going to have a talk with my supervisor today, stomach has been all gurgly the past 24 hours, or so, nerves. I've been here just about 5 years, so hopefully they can work around this for a few more weeks.

I was also looking at the sheer cost of getting a vehicle registered...$70 for inspection, then about $250 for tags/reg/tile, maybe more, then tax...so probably $500+, right there. Ouch.

36 days so far, and it has been hard, these past few days, as this drags on. When the car got hit, it was really just the beginning of resisting a 'trigger'...the aftermath has proved to be a lot more difficult than I'd imagined. Maybe I was in denial after the initial shock that this would be easier? Hard to say, just hope to get back to 'normal', or near normal, soon.

I have my agnostics meeting tonight, hopefully that will have a therapeutic effect
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea, life sometimes throws things at us that we don’t expect, I think you should go forward carefully because as you said you don’t want a POS type car. Maybe take a taxi back and forth to work for a week, maybe a little cost involved but could buy you time to make a better decision.

I really hope things turn out better than they were before the accident, things work out mysteriously sometimes…

Congrats on the 36 days!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

There are car auctions near Baltimore, try that. I regularly attend aa meetings, so I have people to call for rides. Try craigslist for empolyment and local newspapers. Prayers sent your way!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you tired CarMax? Just curious.

You have a lot going on! I think anyone would be stressed in your situation. I'm happy you are staying sober though because it would be a lot worse if you were dealing with this in a drunkin state!

I wish I had more words of wisdom but your situation is hard and just know that we are all here to read your woes! Life can be a big pain in the ARSE!