Notices

Hello

Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello

I've read these forums off & on now for at least 6 months. What you all do in terms of support & overall insight is way ahead of most programs established decades ago, so keep up the good work. Tonight is my last night using. I have quit and relapsed many times before.. More than most my age(24) probably.. But I'm a writer/journalist/author & a near overdose almost cost me my job that I've worked harder than anything to obtain & maintain. With that being said I've never been so sick of this lifestyle in my life that I am making a promise to myself to rid myself of this disease once & for all. For the first time I'm looking for assistance. Not to put the burden on you all, but I don't believe I can do this on my own. I've been addicted for 6 years & the time is up to continue like this.. there are so many aspects and various dimensions to my story that I hope will unravel as I go through this process. Unfortunately I'm a extremely sleepy as I normally am the last day of a drug binge when I don't use anymore. But I just wanted to state that tonight I'm done. And hopefully on my first clean day tomorrow I can begin to share with whoever is willing to listen my story, and please if you will, give advice on how to make this strength last. Thank you all & goodnight.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR kenoichi149
I look forward to hearing more of your story

D
Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and pleased you took the post plunge and are ready for new beginnings. You needn't do this alone. If we could do stuff all alone there might need be only one of us on earth. I needed support today and SR responded. You will be embraced.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AMD

Good start. Just remember that conviction tomorrow and make it happen. I am 13 days sober and feel great. Don't waste another day of your life out of misplaced fear. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome kenoichi! Please let us know how your making out. You might want to check in with your Doctor. A good check-up, is always a good idea before stopping your D.O.C.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To say I'm scared is an understatement. I come from a really "strong" family & no ones dealt with addiction or the physical pain that led me to it.. Nobody relates therefore nobody understands.. I'm the weak link, etc..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I am also the weak link. You'll find wonderful support here as well as solid information to break free from addiction.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember the pain... Keep it fresh in your mind. When your detxoing your brain will tell you it wasn't that bad, and anything other than feeling uncomfortable will be ok. I had so many nights where I would swear that was it, and just the following day or so I'd be so sick that it didn't matter.

All I can really say is get involved with a local NA/AA group in your area. I got involved with AA where I live and got a sponsor... that guy saved my life. I'm sober over a year now, but I had to do a medical detox and then a 28 day treatment program to get started.

Best of luck and stay connected.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a lot of understanding and support here Kenoichi

D
Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Kenoichi Glad you've decided you've had enough. Looking back, I can see how living with alcohol just got harder and harder. At least with sobriety, things get better...... Keep posting and reading! :ghug3
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you kenoichi for finding your way here.
I too, was extremely desperate when I found this site.
You'll find many very helpful folks here, with good advise
simply because they have been through it.

Best to you on your journey, becoming yourself again.
I do agree with a previous post from opivotal to check in with your doctor.
Best to you
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by kenoichi149 View Post
To say I'm scared is an understatement. I come from a really "strong" family & no ones dealt with addiction or the physical pain that led me to it.. Nobody relates therefore nobody understands.. I'm the weak link, etc..
In my opinion, the "strong" people are the ones who recognize their problems, face them and do everything in their power to overcome them. Addiction is not a sign of weakness; that is in the failure to address the addiction once you know it is there.

But we all gain strength from many different places. Support groups, online discussion, family and friends, God...Strength is all around you if you know where to look for it.

Welcome, and thanks for joining us. I'm sorry you had to lurk so long before posting, as I think discussing and sharing our issues is vitally important to living a life free of the problems caused by our addictions. But I'm really glad you decided to speak up. Perhaps that was the impetus you needed to move forward with this next phase of your life. And that life can be more wonderful than you dream, this I promise you. Got a lot of experiential evidence to back up that claim.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! How is your first day sober? We're all rooting for you!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Prayers sent your way!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much.. I've felt pretty sick today & as a writer I find that the hardest thing for me to do sober is to write. Being addicted so long I've heard I'll have to relearn how to do pretty much everything, and I find that very true. I'm really impatient also, and that's been part of the reason for me relapsing. After about 2 or 3 weeks another wave of withdrawal hits me & I feel as if I can't deal with this forever so I might as well give in.. I see my Dr. at least once a month. He's not really sure I should get off these meds, but he's always willing to help me when I decide to. I haven't broken the news to him yet, but I'll make sure to do so this week. Thank you all again so much for the support, and I'll make sure to write frequent on here even when I don't feel like it as I'm sure it will help in the long run. God Bless!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

to SR.

So glad you joined and are making a committment to your recovery...please keep us informed....take care.