Notices

Today is Tough

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is Tough

I'm not gonna lie, today is hard.
Certain people who have "driven me to drink" in the past have brought up the same emotions, and my first inclination in these situations is to go across the street, buy a twelve pack and forget about my problems.
I did go across the street, but instead I bought a pack of cigarettes - the lesser of two evils I guess.
I'm not going to drink today, but I'm just saying it's not easy.
Day 8.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not easy but worth it and nobody has a license to drive you to drink. You control your emotions don't give them away to others. Good job on not picking up.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

awesome job...I have been having the same feelings and emotions (day six for me)....the physical craving is very tough, but lots of chocolate over here and Dr. Pepper...hang in there, we can do this!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry today was tough Stavros.

I had a few button pushers in my life too..

in the beginning all I could do was make a commitment not to drink - & smoke too in my case...I was *done* punishing myself and my body for what others might do.

By staying sober, a little later on I was able to work out positive ways to destress - relaxation, meditation, exercise etc - ways to stick to healthy boundaries, and ways to accept that, while I couldn't expect to change others behaviour, I could change my reactions to it.

It all took time, but I'm glad I put the work in

D
Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that I can't control other people or their emotions, anger and feelings but I can change how I think and react to them.
My daughter was always pushing my buttons but I think now that I'm not drinking she's not sure which buttons to push. Hehe. Don't let people 'think' they can aggravate you.
Sorry about having a bad day...we will have them.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Not easy but worth it and nobody has a license to drive you to drink. You control your emotions don't give them away to others. Good job on not picking up.
Yeah, she doesn't have a license! - I like that, thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newtosoberlivin View Post
awesome job...I have been having the same feelings and emotions (day six for me)....the physical craving is very tough, but lots of chocolate over here and Dr. Pepper...hang in there, we can do this!!!
Right on. I don't drink beer, I drink root beer!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry today was tough Stavros.

I had a few button pushers in my life too..

in the beginning all I could do was make a commitment not to drink - & smoke too in my case...I was *done* punishing myself and my body for what others might do.

By staying sober, a little later on I was able to work out positive ways to destress - relaxation, meditation, exercise etc - ways to stick to healthy boundaries, and ways to accept that, while I couldn't expect to change others behaviour, I could change my reactions to it.

It all took time, but I'm glad I put the work in

D
Yeah, exercise is definitely a good stress-reliever and incentive for me to not drink. Because, if I drink, I won't be able to relieve that stress in a healthy way, because then I won't want to exercise.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
I find that I can't control other people or their emotions, anger and feelings but I can change how I think and react to them.
My daughter was always pushing my buttons but I think now that I'm not drinking she's not sure which buttons to push. Hehe. Don't let people 'think' they can aggravate you.
Sorry about having a bad day...we will have them.
Trying to find ways to not bottle everything up and instead looking for healthy ways to vent. It seems so weird sometimes when I am just used to "drinking it out". But I know that drinking does not solve any problems, it just makes you forget about them momentarily and creates new ones for you in the future.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Journal your feelings. Feelings aren't facts or who you are. Feelings change!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me, if I tried to blame situations and people for my drinking and using......they ended up being the winners........and I the loser. I have learned from my own mistakes that only "I" can control the response I have to others and difficult situations. That was a big light-bulb for me, hopefully from now on I can stand tall and be proud of the fact that I won the battle.

Good luck......keep posting and stay strong !
Old 08-22-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

stavros...I met with my therapist today and discussed just this issue. The triggers caused by behaviors, feelings and situations. He drew a picture for me showing that I have established neural pathways in my brain (physically) that take me to that store across the street based on past responses to those triggers. By establishing new responses, you are paving new neural pathways, and letting the old roads decay in the process. Keep it up! All it takes is practice!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
stavros...I met with my therapist today and discussed just this issue. The triggers caused by behaviors, feelings and situations. He drew a picture for me showing that I have established neural pathways in my brain (physically) that take me to that store across the street based on past responses to those triggers. By establishing new responses, you are paving new neural pathways, and letting the old roads decay in the process. Keep it up! All it takes is practice!
Good advice. thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stavros212 View Post
Certain people who have "driven me to drink" in the past have brought up the same emotions, and my first inclination in these situations is to go across the street, buy a twelve pack and forget about my problems. ...

I'm not going to drink today, but I'm just saying it's not easy.
Day 8.
Glad you held on. One thing to think about when that urge comes - Do you really want to go through that 8 days again? Life ain't easy - but life plus early sobriety is even harder. The farther you get from the last drink the easier it gets and the worse it will be to go through early recovery again. There are lots of excuses to drink but no reasons.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Glad you held on. One thing to think about when that urge comes - Do you really want to go through that 8 days again? Life ain't easy - but life plus early sobriety is even harder. The farther you get from the last drink the easier it gets and the worse it will be to go through early recovery again. There are lots of excuses to drink but no reasons.
Very true. I feel about 1000 times better than I did on day one, so no I don't want to give that up and start all over again. Day 1 was torture, and I would be happy if I never had to go through that again in my life.
And that's right - they are not reasons, only excuses.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stavros212 View Post
Certain people who have "driven me to drink" in the past have brought up the same emotions, .
Congrats on day 8 and not buying the beer!

You have to remember, you cannot control what other people do or say. How you react is up to you. No one but ourselves makes us drink. Other people simply do not have that power over us, unless we give it to them.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettingStronger2 View Post
Congrats on day 8 and not buying the beer!

You have to remember, you cannot control what other people do or say. How you react is up to you. No one but ourselves makes us drink. Other people simply do not have that power over us, unless we give it to them.
soooooooo sososo true! nobody can drive you to drink except yourself.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stay strong and stick with it. You'll be glad you did.