Notices

Day One

Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

Hello all

Well today is day one of what I hope to by my new life without alcohol. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but I guess you can't do it if you don't start. My 3yr old daughter motivates me in addition to the fact that I just feel worn down and must change. I feel guity and ashamed. My wife know I drink but has no idea how much as I hide most of it from her. I've been drinking most all of my adult life and am not even sure I know how to live life without drinking. I'm going to do it, I have to!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FedUpnTired

You'll find a lot of support here

Welcome!
D
Old 08-21-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its day one for me too. I totally understand how you feel. Its a little scary to do this, but I have to believe that life will be better without alcohol dragging me down. Good luck to your journey.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you've made a brave and sane choice for you and your family. I'm sure you'll get lots of help and support here as well as elsewhere. As for living life without alcohol--as I did a little house cleaning today and thought about a football game on the tube tonight-- I was almost overwhelmed with the simplicity and beauty of living life without alcohol. I forgot, in all my years of drinking, how much the litle day to day occurances of a sober life, our truely a blessing. Thanks for joining us and my best to you.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My day one again too, I really hope this time it sticks..thanks for posting.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! I'm on Day 2 and experiencing great guilt & shame, but I've heard it gets easier. Let's stick with it long enough to find out! I'm sure there are better lives waiting for us on the other side.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, welcome to all you day wons and day two, too.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey guys . . . you CAN do this. Today is my b-day and the first time in 3 decades not a drink in sight!?!?!?!?! Just on Day 27 - you just really have to want this. AND - get some help - AA is working for me. Give it a try or try something else - but I couldn't have gotten here w/out help from others who know what this is like.

One Day At A Time. This is a very powerful statement.

Be well.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Fedup! Congratulations on wanting to make this change in your life. You can do this, and feel better than ever. It is strange in the beginning because we've relied on it for so long.

I hid my drinking, too - in the end I had it in my system at all times. You never have to reach that point. Reading and posting here really helps calm your anxiety when you first quit. Also, there's someone here at all hours, so you're never alone.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was afraid to stop drinking, too. But, everyone knew I was a drunk.
You'll be surprised how things can turn around for you.

Do it for your family, do it for your sanity but most of all do it for yourself.

Best to you.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but I guess you can't do it if you don't start. My 3yr old daughter motivates me in addition to the fact that I just feel worn down and must change. I feel guilty and ashamed. My wife know I drink but has no idea how much as I hide most of it from her. I've been drinking most all of my adult life and am not even sure I know how to live life without drinking. I'm going to do it, I have to!
Man, this describes me also. My daughter is now 10 and I had to actually take my empty beer bottles with me to work and toss them in a dumpster so my wife wouldn't know how much beer I was drinking per week. She would go through the trashcan so I found a way around that.

But, now I am 42 years old and my body is changing to the alcohol use. It has started causing major withdrawal symptoms when I'm not drinking like low blood sugar and panic attacks. Trust me, do not let it get to this point. I am on day 19 now of not drinking and I am going through the worst anxiety withdrawal symptoms ever.

Seeing my daughter and knowing that she has NO idea of what I have been doing to my body and the thought of not being around for her when she's older gets me pretty emotional and very determined to stop the alcohol use. I realize from my predisposition of my father being an alcoholic that I can't moderate either. I was just kidding myself thinking that I could moderate. Restaurants became weekends at home and weekends at home always ended up being almost everyday at home.

Put an end to this now. I am going through the "strange" times myself of not knowing how to really act without alcohol but I know that quitting will be all worth it. I just watch my wife and she always has the best time when we go out and she always stays sober. I am learning from her. It should get easier and easier.