Notices

Group Conscience

Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Group Conscience

Does anyone have some experience with closed segregated meetings. Some people in my home group are pushing for a closed veteran's meeting on sundays. Doesnt this go against our primary purpose? If anyone has some feedback, it would be much appreciated.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't use AA in my recovery (I'm assuming you are asking about AA meetings?) but aren't there womens only and mens only and things like that?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

It is up to each individual group to decide through a group conscious what type of meeting they are going to hold, be it womens, mens, GLBT, veterans, closed, open, etc... AA does not dictate what types of meetings can be held. AA's primary purpose
Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
That does not state that a group can not hold meetings that are not open and all inclusive. Can one "stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety" in a woman's only meeting? A veterans only meeting? A closed meeting? A mens only meeting? A GLBT meeting? etc.... In my opinion yes each of those meetings is fulfilling the primary purpose of AA.

I know that as a woman I was more comfortable in a women's only meeting in early sobriety. I had some bad experiences in mixed groups and yes that is partly because I was new and did not know that just because a person has been sober a while does not mean they are well. There have been times I have preferred to attend only closed meetings as I felt more comfortable about my anonymity there. Each type of meeting serves a purpose and ensures that we are able to meet the needs of the individual alcoholic. I am sure there are enough open meetings in your area that having one designated as a veterans meeting will not keep someone away from getting help but it may help the veteran who feels more comfortable in a group of veterans to find sobriety.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
What is the down side of starting a new AA meeting? Gosh....I can't think of any...
Old 08-20-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The down side is that closing off a meeting to a specific kind of alcoholic may not be helping the next alcoholic- if he is not a veteran. Isnt making closed meetings for us to be more comfortable just another way of "finding an easier, softer way".
I do live in a small town and there arent any other meetings at that time or even close to that time.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well one could start a new meeting for just that day somewhere else.