Notices

Decision Time. Your opinion?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decision Time. Your opinion?

So I'm a teacher and am very, very type A. No really. More type A than your worst nightmare. Heart palpitations, panic attacks, work like a dog.

So School starts in mid September. I lost a good chunk of the summer to a family death and a heroic relapse. Now I have about a week to myself before the next family onslaught and I have to decide how to spend it.

I could:

Stay home and ease through time by sewing, writing, and going to AA meetings.

Go to a lovely little no TV no television hotel I love at the coast (80 miles from home) where I would begin a writing project, read, and knit--and find AA meetings.

Consider a one-week rehab program and call it vacation. Is there such a thing as one week in patient?

My therapist thinks I can do it on my own with AA, but if I don't she wants in patient. I guaranty you under no circumstances can I spend a week in rehab once school starts.

I would love to choose the hotel route, but I'm afraid I would get lonely and get into trouble. I'm not as zen as I wish I was.

If I stay home I can get things done and will continue AA (promise) but I'm afraid I won't really feel like I did anything this summer, then Fall will hit me like a ton of bricks.

Ideas?

And should I add that my best friend, who is that outside person I've told of my alcoholism, and with whom I normally work closely, is out of the country until January? So it will be a hard Fall.

Thanks for your time. Ideas?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Missy!

Have you made any friends at AA yet? Getting more involved and meeting people there has helped me. Socializing with non-drinkers is fun. I would rather do that than go off alone somewhere being newly sober.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gee, it seems that this life changing journey you are beginning is achieving a great deal.

Relax. Enjoy your week.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like the hotel idea, gives you time to do something unusual, but make sure you have a backup plan in case cravings hit you
Old 08-14-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Maybe you could try to find a retreat centre. The one near here is run by the Franciscans and is open 24/7. There is a wonderful library and bookstore, a chapel, and lots of quiet walking trails with park benches. Private retreatants are welcome for any length of time - an afternoon, a weekend, a week, a month, whatever. Meals are taken with the staff. Individual guidance is available, and the staff are well versed in 12-step programs.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi missy7,

I stayed at home my first year of sobriety, early recovery took all my energy. I'm not sayin you have to but for me this was a life and death thing. I was a 30+ year drinker and I new I only had one shot at this and I put everthing into my recovery, I new if I pickup I might never come back.

Just marinate in recovery, thow yourself into it. Put it first before anything else just like we used to do with our drinking.

I do know this, with all the work I put into my recovery I never thought my life could be this good now.

All the best to you and Stay Focused and Stay the Course...
Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Inpatient was so helpful to me. I needed that fast track, though, with 2 little kids, there was less than 0 time anymore to waste with my own namby pamby efforts at AA recovery. Inpatient was there and I was so ready to do the work. I am really fortunate I got that opportunity.

Best of luck deciding.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Damn, I think sobriety and working recovery makes for quite an awesome summer, however you choose to spend the rest of it. And wherever you go or whatever you do you can carry your sobriety with you and within You. I was a teacher for years, the best with the new school year. Being Zen is just being.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just get to some AA meetings. You should be fine.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One week is detox, not rehab. Try the AA meetings, don't drink, stay close to your counselor/Dr and see how it goes.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love the hotel idea!

It sounds like you might be near the ocean, and be able to spend time doing exactly what you wanted to do.