Notices

Question about withdrawl symptoms???

Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question about withdrawl symptoms???

Hi Everyone,
I have been sober for three weeks and have really been feeling good. But the last couple of days, I have had a few strange symptoms. First, I was sleeping well and now I am having nightmares and my sleeping is restless. I am also waking very early. The second symptom, which is worrying me, is a strange feeling in my head. It almost feels like something crawling over my brain. I have become very tired and a bit lethargic. Is this normal at this point in my recovery? Will these symptoms subside or hopefully go away completely? Any suggestions for ways to treat these symptoms???
As always, thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

why don' you get checked by your doctor .what your describing could be anything from allergies to high blood pressure.we sometimes forget when we've been drinking we pick up viruses and other medical problems and just attribute the symptoms to the booze
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hmltnls,
Thanks for the adivce. I am due for a check up, but always worry about bringing up the alcohol. I am an independent contractor and it is very hard to get health insurance. If I ever need to change companies, they won't pick me up if I was ever treated for alcohol.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is normal....at least I hope so....I have been going through the same stuff, especially last week. But last night I slept great ......none of the symtoms I was having last week. I am on day 14 and feeling better with each passing hour. Part of the reason I was having those symtoms last week was because my blood-pressure was way up because of my detox. It is back to normal now so I think the worst is over. Hang in there !
Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Basias

I have eaten out the past few nights, and restaurant food tends to be salty, so maybe my blood pressure is up a little. I will watch my salt intake today. But what about the feeling in my head. Feels like something is crawling all over my brain. Have you ever had that feeling???
Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the "crawly" feeling on my head also, but it was only during my detox. However, I have found that "complet detox" can take up to a month or more, and symtoms can come and go. A few years ago I was taking valium and Xana......and drinking.......that was the absolute worst detox I have ever gone through, and I did not sleep for over a month. But it passed and I survived. I have found that the more you "mix" the worst the withdrawal.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Basias,
Again, thanks for sharing your experience with me. I know that when we drink heavily, we kill a lot of brain cells. I am thinking clearly...no fogginess. I have been under a lot of stress, so maybe that is what is causing all this. I am just really glad to hear that you had the feeling in your head and it went away. Hopefully I will be back to feeling good in a few days. Congrats on day 14!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
I can really use your advice!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aida
these things may be related to withdrawal - but they may not too.

None of us are Drs and we can't give you medical advice here, so please if you're worried bring your appointment forward.

I understand you're anxious and wanting answers but professional medical advice is always best.

I also urge you to be honest - the bottom line is the Dr can;t treat you properly if they only know half the story.

I understand about things like insurance, but I'd encourage you to check with your insurer to find out whether your fear is based on any kind of reality.

I also believe nothing is more important than our well being.

D
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee
Thank you for your response. I feel better knowing that maybe everyone just didn't want to give medical advice. Although, I was just wondering if they had the same symptoms. I just changed my health insurance and one of the questions was about alcohol problems and treatment. One company turned me down because of they won't provide coverge if you have had a drug or alcohol problem. This is because I am an independent contractor. If I had group coverage it would be different.
Again...thanks for your response.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

All of that stuff is familiar to me - except the crawling over the brain - I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Even if you have to go to a free clinic or an ER or one of those emergency afterhours clinics with a flat fee, it's worth getting checked out if you're concerned, AD

D