Notices

Question

Old 08-06-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

I finally got my but into some meetings the problem I am having is I am not religious and don't have a higher power. How did you find a higher power?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Naydeen
I'm glad you're seeking help - are you looking for a sponsor too?

D
Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take your time, and be patient. AA is not a religious group, and the concept of a higher power is a God of your own understanding. For some people, it takes a while to get there. For now, just go to meetings, read your book, listen to people, and find a sponsor. Be honest about where you are. Most people in your position will come to believe in a higher power eventually.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Naydeen and Welcome!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

When I drank, I was dying inside. Today I choose to live. Life is my higher power.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've known people to have higher powers that were: the ocean, nature, the sun, energy, the universe. As long as it's a power greater than yourself.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Naydeen, You're not alone with this issue. I was disheartened when I first saw that the steps contained the word God. When I read chapter 4 in the Big Book the first time I started to feel better about the whole higher power idea. My concept of one has changed since I began recovery. If you haven't a copy of the book here's a link to that chapter.....

Page 44

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you read the big book yet? You do not have to "find" a higher power to work the steps. The big book says to be willing to believe in a higher power, it doesn't say you have to know your higher power before working the steps. In reality the steps will help you to define your higher power as long as you stay sober and do the work.

One of the most profound things I ever heard in an AA meeting was a guy that said to take as much of yourself as you understand, and turn it over to as much of God as you understand. He went on to say that in a year, if you stay sober and work the steps, your understanding of yourself, your higher power and the AA program will evolve considerably. In my own experience, he was dead on.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

naydeen

just keep seeking it

as my HP shanghaied me
Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi

I'm new to sobriety and AA and at the moment, my higher power is the room of recovering alcholics who have much more sober time behind them/wisdom than me. My sponsor wants me to concentrate on my prayer life, I'm struggling with that at the moment but I said I will try.

After all, I gave drinking enough of my energy so why not sobriety?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Your will, not mine.

It worked.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by naydeen40 View Post
I finally got my but into some meetings the problem I am having is I am not religious and don't have a higher power. How did you find a higher power?
Trying to find G-d, a "higher power," or a "power greater than yourself" while addicted is not easy, since addicted people cannot usually conceive of a power greater than their own addiction. Therefore, I won't even attempt to advise you on such matters.

That said, you do not actually need to find a higher power in order to quit drinking or using drugs. Once you do quit, you will be able to reflect on such profound and personal matters with a clear mind. If you want to know how to quit without having to find a higher power first, feel free to contact me via Private Message.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Willingness, really... seek and you will find. You don't need to be religious, in fact sometimes people have an easier time if they don't have too many preconceptions.

I cannot disagree completely with AVRT... a clear mind is certainly helpful... but the journey has to start somewhere!