Notices

please help me understand "the Sponsor"

Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

please help me understand "the Sponsor"

Hi,

My wife returns home next week after having spent 35 days at a treatment center.

This past weekend she came home on a 2-day pass and went to 2 AA meetings (she is a drug addict - I guess not a lot of NA meetings in our city).
She has to attend 90 meetings in 90 days starting next week.

I guess that means she will have a Sponsor.
What exactly is a Sponsor and how does one find a Sponsor?
What is their role?
What should I expect?

I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question but I haven't been able to get much information out of my wife on anything pertaining to her treatment thus far. I'm just feeling my way thru this process.
In some of the posts I've read, it talks about having a tough Sponsor etc - I realize they play a big role in the recovering addict's life.

Just looking for some insight on the subject.
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here is the pamphlet that AA put outs and is available at most AA meetings as well as here on line:

http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

It would work very well for you finding a sponsor in Alanon also.

As to who your wife ends up with as a sponsor, well ................................. not really your business. It's her choice whom she picks and what she decides to 'share' with said sponsor.

A sponsor is someone, USUALLY of the same sex, who has worked the steps with a sponsor who has also worked the steps. A sponsor is a 'guide' through the steps and shows by their actions (how they are living their sober life) how the steps are working for them. ie "Someone who walks the way they talk."

Hope that helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey Lestersquare ---

Ipangel asked a similar question regarding sponsorship. My response there would apply here to, so, being the lazy person that I am here's a "copy 'n paste of my post...............:

On AA's official website Alcoholics Anonymous : there are lots of pamphlets available to read online. Just go to Alcoholics Anonymous : ; click on INFORMATION ON A.A.; then click on A.A. LITERATURE; there's lots of info there, especially under Pamphlets (you can scroll through all the pamphlets available for reading online or even downloading to your PC); under Books there are the BB and the 12x12 available online (there's also a link from AA's home page under READ THE BIG BOOK AND TWELVE AQND TWELVE)

There's even a pamphlet specifically regarding sponsorship.......:
Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

Matter 'o fact, there's tons of info on AA's website........check it out..........happy reading

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Al anon is for family members. Try a meeting or more and get your own sponsor also referred to as a spiritual advisor.

Best wishes!