Notices

Whadda ya do instead?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whadda ya do instead?

Hey there! I think I'm gonna take off for a few days. I'm just endlessly surfing the same old threads with nothing new to say or offer.

All I can come up with at this point are the drunken memories that flood my mind then self loathing, regret and guilt.

I feel like what I want to say has already been said and all the questions I have I already know the answer to. Time will heal. The money I used to spend on booze and all habits related to booze will be put towards active healthier means like tickets to performances, yoga and vegetables...
I'll bet everyone gets to this point. A point when they feel like they're just ready to do life. I'm ready. I'm looking denial dead in the face. Im not going to fool myself. That's that. What else is there?
But I've been on everyday all day, if I take off for a few, some of you may wonder if I gave in to my AV, because I myself am concerned for a couple I haven't heard from...

I do wanna know. What are you doing instead? What do you intend to do instead?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm still too new. I obsess. I quit for 60 days and stopped coming on here for a week at a time. I relapsed. Not blaming the fact that I stopped so much. I think it was because there was no support system outside of this forum. I am doing AA now. I was thinking I need to cut back some as well. Good luck. Come back and tell us how you are doing. Stay strong
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I mediate and pray a lot. I still keep reading on here. No official program.
I am very grateful that I made it so long without booze.
One of the things I realized, if something happens my reactins turned around. Most of the time I say this is not so bad, I can handle this and see the positive in things, like when I got sick, I appreciated it since it was a reminder how bad one can feel. I keep forgetting how much worse I was
Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We will be here if and when you decided to come back. I've taken time away a few times myself but I always seem to find my way back. I figure Sober Recovery is here 24/7 and I find that very comforting, it's an easy way to get a daily dose of recovery help.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm feeling strong and focused myself. But for me SR is a good way to keep my feet on the ground, too not get complacent in my recovery or think I have all the answers. I'm relapsed a couple of times at between 6-8 months sober because of those problems I think. My sobriety and recovery are so important this time I'm covering my bases and not taking chances. What do I have to lose?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I exercise a lot. I have a gym I go to. I go on walks and play basketball. I started playing my Bass guitar again. I love all these things, but didn't do most of them because I was too busy drinking. I feel much more happy and normal these days. Much better then when I was drunk 6 days a week.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
We will be here if and when you decided to back.
Thank you kindly Bikerguy. I'm not going anywhere. I said "a few days" like 3 max.

Funny thing. I went out in to the world and had an interaction with a regular nice person, felt socially awkward and wanted a drink. So there's my "doing life". I felt so full of anxiety. Just one glass of anything woulda mellowed me out. I was that whole "not comfortable in your own skin" feeling.

Instead of drinking, I read. Chatted with friends. Felt dumb for posting that I was gonna go do life for a few days. I'm gonna keep giving and receiving the inspiration to stay sober just like you amazing people. I'm struggling just like everyone else.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Symmetry, recovery is a journey. We are all on this journey and SR is a good place to connect with other people who understand. I come here to SR every day and have for years. It keeps me grounded, it inspires me, and I give and receive.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As Anna mentioned....I too check daily ..Sr is a vital supplement to my llocal AA committments.

When I began my AA Steps I felt a shift from shakey sobriety into solid recovery.....
With that in mind....please do get into your Steps soon. That can be such an awesome adventure of self discovery.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I come here daily but don't always have something to say. You don't have to STAY here all day. Just read enough to take a piece with you through out the day. Keep a piece of SR in your life...but get out and live it.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah. I hear ya. Recovery is a journey. I'm entering unknown territory and I sometimes I just don't even know who I am. The more I know the more I know I don't know. I don't want this to be a part of my journey. To want something that i don't want so badly...ugh. Exhausting. I didn't ask for this. Is this a post that belongs in the whiner's thread? Lol! Thanks. I have much gratitude for your support. I'm not familiar with the steps. I love SR.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I come here to SR daily, probably twice a day just to check my posts and to read few of the new ones, aprox. less than hour per day. I've also been going to AA twice a week. Reading at least a couple chapters a day of the Big Book as well reading 24 Hours a Day and another one similar to 24.

I have also been doing some fishing (probably more in the past few weeks then I have in the past few years). Getting some miles on the motorcycle, the bicyle too. There's is always yard work and now my truck is f'd so I worked on that this evening and will be again tomorrow night after chasing down parts for it to find out they were the wrong one and the soonest I can get them would be tomorrow. But oh well, weather is nice and the mc is still operational and I can get to work so its all good.

I've been wanting to get back into lifting weights and playing guitar but I think I should wait until later in the summer or winter when I have more time.

And on top of all that, 3 kids that I wish I could spend more time with but that day will come.

Just being busy with something, anything that interests you or entertains you. I wish you continued success with sobriety.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Symmetry, recovery is a journey.
I like to think of the journey as discovery rather than recovery.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Symmetry, you could always send me a PM letting me know how you are getting on and we can chit chat back and forth. I find having some private conversations helps to keep connected when the threads get a bit tired. Always here!