Notices

New Guy

Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy

Hello, everybody.

I'm a 21 year old male uni student (literature and cultural sciences) typing out from a small city in a small country in Europe.

Today I reached a minor milestone - 1 month sober. Although I stopped drinking after an unfortunate withdrawal, which threw me in a hospital, there have been some occasions that made me relapse. So i decided to reset the counter.

A month ago I spent 3 days binge drinking in a cycle. Once i came out of it I had some withdrawal symptoms, but non so bad as the time when I had to go to the hospital to get an IV sodium chloride solution set up.

It's hard in this day and age to go without alcohol due to peer pressure and the ever so subconscious marketing techniques of the corporations.

I was a happy drunk originally. I had some great times drinking and being drunk, but i came to an understanding that I can't drink responsibly or in moderation. It's all or nothing. So I decided to quit, my organs just can't keep up. Although I don't have a clear plan how to handle all the upcoming situations where alcohol is involved, some progress has been made already. Yesterday I turned down an old friend who offered me beer. And before that there was a birthday, where I said "water will be just fine" (granted - most of the people there were middle aged, so not that much pressure). Some of the friends will naturally have to go, especially the old "drinking bodies", because I have nothing more in common with them.

Looking forward to hearing advice from you and sharing experience how to stay quit.

Have a nice day-
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome and congrats on 1 month sober! Woohoo!

-Josh
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Nocturnus!

I'm glad you have made the decision to live a sober life.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Nocturnus-

GREAT job coming on here and posting about yourself.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. There is power in the asking.

We can and do recover. You can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nocturnus - That is fabulous news, 1 month sober! There's no way I would ever have accomplished that at 21. As you said, so much peer pressure, among other things. You'll never have to go through the chaos and turmoil many of us have. I almost destroyed myself insisting I could control my drinking.

I'm not sure why I decided I needed liquor to have fun or relax. I had a happy enough life, and didn't need to get numb, but still did it all my adult life. Everyone's situation is different - and I realize some simply can't be around alcohol at all. For me, that wasn't feasible. I have learned to enjoy seeing things through clear eyes & fully experiencing life with all it's ups & downs.

Glad you joined us - let us know how it's going for you.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nocturnus

D
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

:ghug3
Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome. This is a great community and I'm happy i found this forum. Since there aren't many AA groups where I live, this is a godsend.

Hevyn - I and I'm sure others can also relate to your situation. Looking forward to experience life as you do.

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Congrats on your one month clean, in my eyes that is NOT a minor milestone. It's really, really hard in the beginning (not like it doesn't remain to have challenges). Welcome to SR, you have found a wonderful place that will give you strength, experience, hope, understanding and a listening ear. (()) Glad you are hear with us - stick around there's a lot to be had here

-Jess
Old 07-26-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Welcome Nocturnus, and congrats on one month sober, that is a real achievement!

I'd also like to say to you that it's great that you decided to do something about your problems with drinking while you are still pretty young. It took me until my late twenties until I got sober (I'm for 2 years now) although I already knew something was wrong with my drinking at 21. So props for getting sober now, it's totally worth it.

Keep writing and reading, there's a lot of supportive people here,
Lionne