Notices

1st Weekend Sober *pats self on back*

Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

1st Weekend Sober *pats self on back*

As a binge drinker, the weekends and/or social settings have always been my biggest challenge. I decided to give up drinking last Monday & though a lot of emotions have come up this week, it was no problem to not drink during the week because I rarely did that anyhow. I gave away the 3 beers that were in my fridge so my house is now clean

So my 1st weekend sober, one of my best friends called me drunk on Friday night, & I had to ask her the next day to please not do that again. I told her that I felt it was thoughtless & insensitive to drunk dial me on my 1st weekend of sobriety. She was very sorry & we spent fun, sober time together Saturday night. She wants to get sober, but she's not quite at the "really ready to quit" point. I will continue to be a light for her.

I chose to miss a solo performance by my husband (I always go see him perform...& usually get drunk at said performance) because I don't want to be over-confident so early. I took the advice of several members here & sat this one out. I also had to turn down several invitations to other shows & an invitation to a slumber party w/ my girlfriends in a couple weeks. It will just be a big overnight drinking party. Had to tell the hostess sorry, but I just can't be around it right now. Being the only sober girl at a party full of drunk girls doesn't sound very fun.

Overall, I am happy about standing my ground & continuing to choose sobriety, even though there is a sadness that right now, I have to exclude myself from a lot of social situations that I would typically be right in the middle of. All my friends whom I have told about my choice to get sober are supportive, but I don't know how much I'll see any of them since I can't be in the party right now. If I lose some of these friends, that's ok. I will make new, sober friends. If some of these "friends" don't want to see me on sober terms, they are not really my friends.

On to week 2! I am still very happy with my choice to quit! Thank to everyone here who has been supportive of me! I am very thankful for this site, you are all helping me more than you know.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Wise choices. You will know when it's time to socialize and not be tempted.

Continued success.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

Thanks doggonecarl
Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! Drinking is everywhere isn't it? Good for you and your choices because it does feel like a sacrifice and it takes a lot of courage to say that your not drinking. How wonderful that we are allowing ourselves to experience the pros of not drinking!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tenyearsgone. you are making some great choices for you recovery. You most likely will be a light for some of your drinking friends,whom might find that drinking isn't fun anymore. Great job..You go girl!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

Thanks so much Symmetry & Lushly! I am doing the best I can! Wishing you both great happiness
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lushly View Post
Tenyearsgone. you are making some great choices for you recovery. You most likely will be a light for some of your drinking friends,whom might find that drinking isn't fun anymore. Great job..You go girl!
So true! I have felt so much respect towards those who are open about their sobriety. I can't deny that it was truly inspiring.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

My husband is sober & he is my inspiration. He is very well-respected by others not only because he is a great guy, but because he is sober in the music scene which is notorious for alcohol & drug abuse. I aspire to be like him, someone who others can look up to as an good example. I hope that my sobriety can influence some of the friends I really care for to look at their substance abuse more clearly!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Edwardm

Good job

Congrats on one week, you're doing a great job.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

Thanks Edwardm!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's wonderful that your husband is sober. It will make a huge difference. I had to exclude myself from all social situations too. Great work on making those tough choices!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are fortunate to have such a great support system behind. Your husband sounds like a jewel. Avoiding situations where you know you will drink is smart. Shows your dedication. I admire your strength.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

Thank you raindancer & lpnangel Seems most things worth having take some work & effort, so sobriety is no different. I am certain the temporary difficulty now will be well worth it!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations TYG

D
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations TYG

D
Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You did great. The strength you've shown so far by picking and choosing the social events you go to will hold you in great stead for the coming weeks and months. You can do this!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Awesome! congratulations. The way I tend to look at it is like this, and it helps me "just say no" to activities that are substance infused...I used to be involved in certain athletic activities, but age and injury have made it so I can't take part in some of them. So, I found other things that are fun, engaging and appropriate to my situation in life.

I have to do the same in the addiction situation, find new activities (and then friends) that don't involve something that I can't take part in.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

Thanks newwings & threshold. There are a lot of things I enjoy that don't involve alcohol. I have to say that while I don't want to lose friends, I also don't see how some of these "friends" who are just people I partied with will continue to hold interest for me. I like my life to be interesting & drinking is kinda "been there, done that". What's so interesting about drinking with the same people at the same bars every weekend? Not much. Hopefully some of my girlfriends will be interested in spending sober time w/ me doing other things, but I'm not getting my hopes up. To each their own.