Notices

Booze & Weight

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

I have been sober almost 2 weeks & have already lost weight...I was just binging hard on weekends, not even drinking every day. Has made a big difference even without any extra exercise!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I hate to be a buzzkill here, but I quit a couple years ago and my weight did not go down. Part of the reason is that I replaced some of those booze calories with chocolate and other food vices. I work out a fair bit and am training for a marathon so that helps keep serious weight off, but I just want to be clear that it's not an automatic that you'll lose weight if you quit drinking. Maybe if you quit earlier in life it helps, but if you're a late 30-something, like I was when I quit, you probably have a slower metabolism that won't respond quite as miraculously. Of course, the flip side is that I probably would have gained even more weight had I kept drinking!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Well, this is day 1 for me....again. I'm about 10 pounds from goal. I don't know if I want to focus on dieting while also trying to quit drinking. So I'm going to put the most effort into resisting alcohol cravings. Hopefully I won't replace the alcohol with excess food! I would drink about 500-1000 calories per day. I also got the drunken munchies. I would eat so much crap! I've had body image/food issues my entire life, so letting go is going to be especially hard. I am going to try and exercise 3-4 days per week. Good Luck All!