Notices

Life is good...why so blue?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is good...why so blue?

I read somewhere that some alcoholics are so developmentally arrested when it comes to emotions that they can't tolerate the least bit of emotional/mental discomfort without wanting to make it go away with alcohol. Well that's who am today. It's Day 16 of sobriety, meetings and a sponsor, prayer, gratitude, daily exercise...so why do I feel so blue that I just want to drink? Trust me - I'm not. I just can't stand this low-grade, gnawing depression and irritability. Anyone else experience this? I mean, life is good...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GracieJane -

Congratulations on 16 days!

I only have 10 days, and already i know that life is better than it was. I am exercising, going to meetings every day, and staying sober.
But i think i am experiencing a mourning period, for lack of a better phrase, for my old life, horrible as it was when i drank.
I don't know about you, but already some of my relationships are changing or phasing out - i don't see many of the people i used to when i was drinking, and on top of that my body is still going through withdrawals of years of drinking.

I have read that this is pretty common, especially in the first few MONTHS of recovery - you and i are at the very beginning of that process.

I try to remind myself that a lot of this is probably chemical, and the rest is the very understandable feelings of loss for a life that, while unhealthy and self-destructive, was very familiar. I hope this helps, from someone who is not very far along i do feel i understand how you feel.

Good luck, and hang in there.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol is a depressant, so it usually takes some time for you to begin to feel better. Also, if you were depressed before you began drinking, it might be something you want to talk to your dr about.

I hope you feel better.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

GracieJane, I've felt this way pretty often, and I think it really just boils down to what you pointed out about the emotional immaturity of some (I would say most) alcoholics. I've spent my entire adult life in a bottle, so it probably shouldn't come as a surprise when I find myself a little lost when dealing with even the smallest of emotional challenges that a "normal" adult has faced successfully a hundred times in life by the time they're my age. Sober time and experience seem to help change that. You're not alone.

--Fenris.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
GracieJane, I've felt this way pretty often, and I think it really just boils down to what you pointed out about the emotional immaturity of some (I would say most) alcoholics. I've spent my entire adult life in a bottle, so it probably shouldn't come as a surprise when I find myself a little lost when dealing with even the smallest of emotional challenges that a "normal" adult has faced successfully a hundred times in life by the time they're my age. Sober time and experience seem to help change that. You're not alone.

--Fenris.
me too. well said, fenris.

I'm just starting out too Gracie, let's hang in there today.

-SD
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Adult Life in a Bottle (my former life)

Me too, in fact, every workday after work, from 6 pm until Passout...funny, I see the numbers 1 > 12 on a clock, but NOWHERE do I see the word Passout, I guess because "Passout Time" varies...could be 7 pm, 9 pm, etc.

Kelly
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you're not alone. drinking allowed us to control our mood. We didn't like the way we were feeling, so we drank and changed it. now we have to try to control our mood by adjusting mentally. it takes some time to get used to accepting your feelings, instead of changing them on a whim. plus, physically, your body is still adjusting after a little over 2 weeks. Keep posting!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Things I do when the blues bite....and I've been sober for years....

I can go help someone else in need....I wear bright colored clothes..scent and Bling
. I put on music...dance around the room...eat a favorite comfort food....Head for a bubble bath

Perhaps the most important thing is to remember this is a passing
discomfort.....a natural part of everyones life.

Please do consult with your doctor about depression..depression is not just feeling blue.
Drinking depressed me to the point I detested myself and it was a dark time.

Congratulations to all our newly sober members....
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to say I was the worlds oldest teenager when I quit...but I grew up pretty fast after that
Stick with it GJ - it does get better

D
Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's ok to feel down or overwhelmed sometimes. Allow yourself 'grief' time when you feel down. But know when to draw the line so you don't spiral down into the firey pits.
Write down how you feel today -keep a journal. I always count my blessings...I have a nice warm house, two happy puppies, not a pennies debt and lots of ice cream. What more does a girl need?

I do something or wear something different daily to change it up. This way things don't seem so mundane.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by GracieJane View Post
It's Day 16 of sobriety, meetings and a sponsor, prayer, gratitude, daily exercise...so why do I feel so blue that I just want to drink? Trust me - I'm not. I just can't stand this low-grade, gnawing depression and irritability.
Sounds like you're going to AA......and participating.......actively. If you're not, take this as a hint - GET MOVING.

Anyway, that stuff you're talking about, it comes and goes. It might just be a phase........but it might also be what we call the manifestation of the spiritual malady - aka, untreated alcoholism.

If you're an AA-type alkie, your alcoholism effects you 24/7 - and it's usually worse when you're NOT drinking - hence, the necessity to seek out some greater power than you (.......since you're a sitting duck when you're in that sort of weakened, depressed, irritable state as it is.....).

Would be happy to discuss this with you more but post something up in the "12 Step" set of threads. I usually try to keep the "AA banner" somewhat low down here in the "Newcomer's section."
Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by GracieJane
It's Day 16 of sobriety, meetings and a sponsor, prayer, gratitude, daily exercise...so why do I feel so blue that I just want to drink? Trust me - I'm not. I just can't stand this low-grade, gnawing depression and irritability
Your not at fault. It could be your in a program that is not fulfilling your needs. I went to AA seeking relief from alcoholism once...it did not match my needs.

No problem, there other ways to recover that are just as good and any method available today, AA included.

Keep seeking for something that will work for you. You will recover if so desired.