Notices

Detoxing Without the Help of a Doctor?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing Without the Help of a Doctor?

Hi All, I have zero days of sobriety. I don't have health insurance and was wondering if it was possible to detox without medical supervision. I know that's probably the best way, but was wondering if there are other methods, such as tapering off. I drink enough that I do have most of the standard withdrawal symptoms. If this has already been addressed in the forums, I haven't found the links yet, so if you could please pass along, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm glad to have found such a great online community for recovery!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Detoxing from alcohol can be deadly. Here's a link to a thread on how to safely detox and the experiences of others.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by weinerdog View Post
Hi All, I have zero days of sobriety. I don't have health insurance and was wondering if it was possible to detox without medical supervision. I know that's probably the best way, but was wondering if there are other methods, such as tapering off. I drink enough that I do have most of the standard withdrawal symptoms. If this has already been addressed in the forums, I haven't found the links yet, so if you could please pass along, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm glad to have found such a great online community for recovery!
welcome to SR weinerdog! i got away with home detox more than a few times.. not the last time though. ended up in the ER.. if you are able to taper OFF.. that means drinking less and less until you drink no more Alcohol then i would recommend drinking Gatorade or powerade right away! good luck and god bless..
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous and no one can predict how it will go. Be sure to go to an ER if you have any concerns.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yea I am with 24hrs I made it through at home a couple times and I really should of saw someone.

My last one I also went to the ER and I dont have health insurance either but they took care of me well they have to, but I am very glad I did . It helped more than I can say.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check local detox facilities. There's one here that's free. You'll have to have them call you when a bed is available, maybe a couple week wait.

We detoxed my husband at home. Don't do it alone, someone needs to be there to monitor your symptoms in case you need medical help.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow. The tapering off doesn't really seem to be working but it's only been two days. I'm in Los Angeles if anyone on here knows of any good, cheap/free detox programs. If not, I'll go to a women's meeting tomorrow and ask around. As you can see, I've tried to do this before.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow, I agree with the others that advise you to get medical help. The ER can be an option, they are very unlikely going to admit you but they may give you some Valium to help.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I should mention I have Xanax, but that's prescribed for panic attacks - and given that I have no insurance right now, I need to make them last for as long as possible or I'll end up in the ER anyways! Can I use them to calm down detox symptoms? I detoxed once with under a doctor's care with Librium - I was under the impression that that is the only drug that successfully detoxes people from alcohol. I feel a little off right now after a two day stretch of binge drinking Friday and Saturday - I might have imbibed about 40 drinks over both days. Sunday I just had six drinks slowly throughout the day and today I had five. Wow, even reading those last few lines makes me realize how nutty I am about the booze.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey w.d. they don't like us to give medical advice on here. however, i strongly suggest drinking the Gatorade as soon as possible.. it was a big help to me in the past.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've heard that you can go to a Care Now or other satellite medical care center and they can help you. It's at least worth a phone call.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My apologies to the moderators for asking for medical advice on here.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

you can do it w.d. it's good to have you with us.. happy 4th of July!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks! We're already hearing the fireworks over here! It's starting to sound like Bosnia I'm just glad I feel better and can hopefully get to sleep without drinking another stupid beer to prevent detox. So glad you all are on here even on the holidays.