Notices

Too depressed to go to AA

Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too depressed to go to AA

definitely too depressed to go to AA....i dont want to go anywhere and i am exhausted for no reason. I posted before that i was out of control hungry but now i have no appetite all i want to do is have a drink (which i wont) or sleep. this is probably a hard time of the day for a lot of us. right about now im sure a lot of us would be at or on our way to a bar or "winding down" at home....i know i would be, i guess thats why there are so many meetings at this time of the day and i know i should go but i am way too depressed to go, its progress that i even made dinner for the kids and worked out today, but i know......redundant......this time of the day sucks! this is SO not my happy hour as much as i wish it could be
Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SLD

I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult day. The kind of depressed funk you are in has to be the hardest part about sobriety.

I found two ways to conquer it... first, if you can find people to be with that aren't demanding, just fun (obviously not in a drinking setting), try to be with them. Even a neighbor will do in a pinch.

If you just want to be alone, I find escape reading to be great. Find a trashy novel of whatever genre you enjoy, and while you are in the plot, your mind is too busy to worry about "other" things.

Hang in there!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We take medicine when we are sick. When you are feeling like you are now, it's the time you should go to a meeting. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do things that are good for you.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Depression and isolation are not entirely responsible for addiction, but they certainly do not help. The working out is good, and I know it is not easy, but forcing yourself to go somewhere with other people - provided that they are not toxic - is good for you.

If you have been going to AA already, and if it makes you feel better, by all means, get up and go.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know early recovery is a hard time with lots of emotional and physical ups and downs. Please do whatever it takes for you to stay sober.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're feeling down Anita.
I hope you'll feel better tomorrow

D
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know you are feeling low....
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everytime of the day was a hard time...it didn't matter what time! I found that when I felt at my worst is was best to do the thing I felt like doing least...getting out and going to a meeting. Once there...it took my mind off things and I ultimately felt better when I got home.
Sorry that you're feeling down...staying here helps when ya can't get to a meeting!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If nothing else, remember that you're sober. Whenever I'm down, just reminding myself of that picks me up a little, sometimes a lot.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you have any numbers of the people you have met in AA?

Sometimes..just calling another alcoholic and talking with them can lift my spirits.

What you are experiencing sounds like my early recovery days, hang in there, it does get better, and hooray, you didn't drink!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sucks big time..but I remind myself today it wont be for a long time...

its a bad time of day for me also..Im trying to get a evening routine...eg, dinner 6pm..tv till 8pm, bath, 8.30pm ph 1 person, chores till 9pm, read AA or SR..10pm, hot milk 10pm bed.. & hopefully sleep...

thats mine for tonight... cause last night sucked and i want to get back to some small structure in my life...

My brains so addled that I need to write it down....lol

I totally agree with Billstaintjames ... at least for today we are sober...