Notices

The Smell of Alcohol

Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree, Femme. I don't like it either. I remember being at a large table of wine drinkers and just wanting to be anywhere else.

One of my 'things' was to tell myself that beer tasted/smelled like peroxide. Still works.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post

And stale beer has always smelled bad to me, but I don't think I share LaFemme's lucky proclivity! I too smell alcohol and want it. But I wonder if you can describe the vomit exercise...I'd be willing to try it.
^
Aaah, this kind of open-mindedness is why I just love SR !?!

LF, not around too much booze really, but do find it a little revolt'n when I am.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Interesting, I only read one or two ppl so far that either liked the smell or were indifferent.

For me, I liked the smell of alcohol, I would sometimes just have a scotch on the rocks, so to smell the booze in the glass as I drank it... but that glass typically lead to the entire bottle and then driving to get more.

I have not come across a time during my sobriety to test the smell theory now but I think I would still like it (whiskey's for sure).

I remember the article on addictions in TIME magazine (I believe there is a link to it hanging around here somewhere on SR) anyways, this alcholic was getting brain imaging done and they were doing some tests along the lines of sniffing his alcohol of choice (I believe it was dark beers). Anyways, the areas of his brain that represented the pleasure centres would light up as if he was actually taking a drink during various periods of his sobriety. These tests went on and gradually the areas of the brain no longer lit up from the scan readings after a considerable amount of time sober.

So, the alcoholic, said something along the lines of... I don't know if that means my brain is healed and back to normal from this disease of alcoholic addiction but I never want to test that theory out and end up back drinking.

If anyone knows the link of that article, post a link, it was interesting.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone
Gosh, I hope some day I am sickened by the smell of wine! That would be awesome!!!! But what I wouldn't give to be able to go wine tasting in sonoma and do it like a "normie"
Cravings are normal for you right now. I have to say, I made myself pretty sick from alcohol in the past. Especially wine. Probably a lot of the reason why I don't like the smell now. And I never liked the taste of alcohol either, towards the end I could barely stomach it but forced myself to.

I haven't really done the exercises that are supposed to deter you from alcohol. My lifestyle doesn't really present me with alcohol in front of me a lot. But I did read the Allen Carr book. A lot of that seems to be to reprogram your ideas about drinking. I read it online somewhere cheaply, so if anyone is interested in that side of things, it may be worth checking out.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
instant

So, the alcoholic, said something along the lines of... I don't know if that means my brain is healed and back to normal from this disease of alcoholic addiction but I never want to test that theory out and end up back drinking.

is it possible that because this guy had come to view alcohol in that way it helped his brain heal?

When I had a hard night the night before work no-one was able to tell (LOL)

Over the years when I have stopped drinking I have has hallucinations associated with strong urges- weeks after not drinking- they have been "real" smells and tastes on my tongue.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I also read Carrs book and loved it.

I rarely vomited when I drank...but the few times I did it was awful...I actually wish I had bad hangovers from the start because then I might not have gotten addicted (I hate being sick).

So the exercise I did goes something like this:

Pick a memory of being sick from alcohol...preferably your worst....remember evjerything about it in excruciating detail...the taste of alcohol coming back up...the way your throatburned and stomach cramped...the clammy skin...the cool porcelain of the toilet...everything. whenever you have a moment think of taking a drink and then immediately pull up this memory.

When I first quit I did this many times a day. I also pulled up that memory if I ever had a randomly drinking thought as well. The further I got into my recovery the less I did this. Last week I drove by a brand new liquor Superstore and had an idle drinking thought. I realized I hadn't done this exercise in a long time...so I started to make myself Think about taking a drink...immediately I felt So nauseous I almost had to pull over. Its kind of like that drug some people take that makes you sick if you drink...but it seems to be pretty permanent...thank God! It would take an awful lot for me to drink today.

When I drank I loved the smell of alcohol...I went to wine tastings in Sonoma and while I can remember enjoying the wine if I try and recall the actual taste all I remember is that it tastes awful...its very strange.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Thanks LaFemme for explaining the exercise. I do that sometimes (not sure if I read about it here or just did it) and formalizing it that way would be good too. The first time I smelled alcohol after I quit I was disgusted and horrified (probably two months in), and you can add me to the list of those who won't kiss partners if they have been drinking. But, a couple of times I smelled old favorites because others were drinking near me, and was not repulsed... I much prefer when I am repulsed.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Harleybluz

I still drink until tomorrow anyway and I don't like the taste or the smell of it. I'm glad that it almost made you sick. That's a good thing.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Early on I would smell or even just see beer and want it but now its GROSS. I went to a big concert 2 weeks ago and the beer smell was overwhelming. Sunday I was at Home Depot when these 2 guys got behind me in line that had that mega mega strong beer smell, must have been at it all day...I went to a dffnt line it was so nasty/overwhelming. I'm so glad I don't like the smell or smell of it anymore.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I just passed five years sobriety, and the smell makes me sick still. I can smell it a mile away...open bottle, bottle in the trash, and people. It is a good thing..Ii associate it with throwing up pieces of my liver when I had cirrhosis many yeers ago, I think....

Keep going! Good job!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

ren and stimpy !ROCKS!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I was always a hold your nose and drink drunk meaning that i could never understand someone who smelled or tasted a drink and said "oh thats lovely"...if i wanted something "lovely" i would have a refreshing fruit juice or a can of diet coke, the alcohol was only in it to get drunk pure and simple! So no i don't get a whiff of a glass of wine or a beer and think mmmmm that smells nice...

Buddies of mine used to love an expensive brandy, never got that it was like drinking turpentine to me?!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I know i would give up all the secrets if my captors forced my nose in a glass of booze or worse made me drink it. I know I would vomit and I figure 2000 times in a life is enough.
SH