Notices

Vitamins VS Alcohol

Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PapaNico View Post
Get ready to have some bright yellow and stinky pee-pee with the Multivitamins! LOL. I just wanted to give you the heads up since it may freak you out when it happens. Since you've been doing such an amazing job of being healthy, sober, and hydrated, I don't want you to get the heebie-jeebies! It freaked me out the first few times I started popping a multi-V!
HAHAHAHA thanks for the heads up!

-Ryan
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Carol I agree.
Compare the name brands with the store brand labels and they are basically the same.
So much cheaper too.
I too take mine with food and I usually have very bright yellow urine afterwards, since the body excretes what it doesn't need.
I'm a RN and we always administer generic multivitamins in the hospital. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just a heads up for those that say that the body excretes what it doesn't need with vitamins, which would imply that care is not needed. There are two types of vitamins fat soluble and water soluble. Your body can excrete the water soluble overages but not the fat soluble overages. Also the minerals and metals are not water soluble by and large.

The takeaway from my post is that if you take one multi vitamin fine, but if you take a multivitamin and several other vitamins and minerals and herbals you can get in trouble without realizing it.

I take one multi a day also, Centrum, and one nexium and that is all.

"Vitamins are classified as either water-soluble or fat-soluble. In humans there are 13 vitamins: 4 fat-soluble (A, D, E, and K) and 9 water-soluble (8 B vitamins and vitamin C). Water-soluble vitamins dissolve easily in water and, in general, are readily excreted from the body, to the degree that urinary output is a strong predictor of vitamin consumption.[13] Because they are not readily stored, consistent daily intake is important.[14] Many types of water-soluble vitamins are synthesized by bacteria.[15] Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of lipids (fats). Because they are more likely to accumulate in the body, they are more likely to lead to hypervitaminosis than are water-soluble vitamins. Fat-soluble vitamin regulation is of particular significance in cystic fibrosis.[16]"

That quote from here:
Vitamin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well I can recommend a men's multivitamin + some fish oil capsules with breakfast; and a vitamin B and E with more fish oil capsules for lunch. I've been doing this routine for a while now and haven't caught the flu whilst being around sick people or anything since I started so I'd say my immune system is better. My heart and central nervous system is probably also better ... I can't really notice but I do feel better in general. I'm also better at thinking but that could be more to do with cutting out drinking. But fish oil is supposed to be very good for the mind.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I take a daily multi-vitamin and a B1 (thiamin) with breakfast. Works for me
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The main ones that alcohol will leech are B-Vitamins (especially thiamine), A, C, E, and Calcium.

Bone deterioration and calcium loss is very common in chronic alcoholics. All else failing, they can tell if someone was boozing even after death by looking at the calcium content in the bones.

While actively drinking and smoking, I would take a multivitamin, plus separate B-100 complex, A,C,E, and a Calcium/D vitamin combo. Vitamin D is necessary for proper calcium absorption. I'm sure it prevented some damage, but not all.

The book "Under the Influence" by James Milam, and quite possibly Katherine Ketcham's "Beyond the Influence" go into some detail about which vitamins/minerals drinkers are deficient in. Worth reading.

Itchy's warning above about hypervitaminosis is correct, though. Not everyone's body can handle the cocktail that I was taking, particularly with liver damage.

A Multivitamin + B-100 complex are probably safe, though. The B vitamins, as Itchy mentioned, are water soluble. Most people can also handle an added calcium supplement if they don't get enough from their diet.

Best bet is probably to run the "Under the Influence" appendix on vitamins through your doctor, though.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

i take most of my vitamins/supplements in a capsule form that dissolves much better for me. and no tummy upset. I also take the omega 369s and 100mg. of Co-Q10

I also take my calcium/magnesium/zinc & biotin at night before bed and 5-HTP for anxiety...it helps me to wind down and sleep better (most nights). i also take SAM-e 800mg. a day..i do better with 1200 but it is very expensive even with coupons.

my ob-gyno recommended additional vitamin D-3, so i take 2500mg...most days.

I buy the procaps brand on line.