Notices

How has alcohol robbed us?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Lightbulb How has alcohol robbed us?

From First Thing Every Morning
by Lewis Timberlake

Arthur Berry was described by Time as "the slickest second-story man in the East," truly one of the most famous jewel thieves of all times. In his years of crime, he committed as many as 150 burglaries and stole jewels valued between $5 and $10 million. He seldom robbed from anyone not listed in the Social Register and often did his work in a tuxedo. On an occasion or two, when caught in the act of a crime by a victim, he charmed his way out of being reported to the police.

Like most people who engage in a life of crime, he was eventually caught, convicted and served 25 years in prison for his crimes. Following his release, he worked as a counterman in a roadside restaurant on the East Coast for $50 a week.

A newspaper reporter found him and interviewed him about his life. After telling about the thrilling episodes of his life he came to the conclusion of the interview saying, "I am not good at morals. But early in my life I was intelligent and clever, and I got along well with people. I think I could have made something of my life, but I didn't. So when you write the story of my life, when you tell people about all the burglaries, don't leave out the biggest one of all... Don't just tell them I robbed Jesse Livermore, the Wall Street baron or the cousin of the king of England. You tell them Arthur Berry robbed Arthur Berry."
Old 06-08-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm 47.....I woke up a few weeks ago and realized that I didn't remember most of my 20's....my 30's at all.....and the first of my 40's.......I'll never get that part of my life back.....but maybe I can make a difference with the remaining years.....
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My former friend and drug dealer recently got sentenced to nine years in prison. He's only 22 (he was 21 when he was arrested).

He is missing out on the best years of his life. Not only that, he had spent nearly all his young adult/adult years up to his arrest getting high.

It's really amazing the risks we all put ourselves through just to get high. Aside from his extreme involvement with drugs, my friend was just a normal guy. It's things like this that really make me thankful that I made it through my using days alive and without getting arrested. It really makes me appreciate life.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

alcohol was involved .........but so was I (!!!!!!!)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nearly every crappy thing that happened in my life - whether by my own cause or someone else's, or some situation - was in some way alcohol/drug related. I can only think of a handfull that were not. There were far more fun experiences than negative experiences, but with alcohol/drugs the bad always out-weighs the good.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I screwed up my health. But I'm on my way to recouping it. I haven't lost much else but you know what they say..... "if you don't have your health....."
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

BSJ thanks for sharing your story about your drug dealer wow that is scary. I thank God everynight I never caught caught for 1/2 the things I did.

The other scary part is I drove lots of times very, very, impaired and how I never hurt or killed anyone is only through the grace of God because there are so many people in prison just like us who went out one night just to party and bam now they are facing many years in a cell.

Thats why I believe Hospitals & Institutions in AA and NA are a very important. It gives many of the inmates a chance to get exposed to the program.

Have a great day all
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcahol has robbed me of my health, relationships, success at uni, careers, positive attitude