Notices

How to cope/distract myself

Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to cope/distract myself

Hello everyone this is my first post I'm Amy.

I'm 6 days sober and finding it very hard to deal with the feeling of loss and missing out on "fun".

I'm also feeling really low and usually when I feel low I pick up a drink to sort of in a way hurt my body ... I suppose in the same way when I get angry or upset I go "fcuk it I'm having a smoke"

I feel like life is boring being sober...and I know it was so hard sobering up the last few days...the shakes...the sweats...deppression...nightmares...panic attacks....but now that it's out of my system my mind is blocking all that out...

oh god this is hard...
any advice?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Have you tired 'hurt'ing your body in safe ways- swimming 2miles, doing a major workout or gym class, riding up a mountain. The pain can last for days. There are otherwise of challenging yourself that are not physical.

do you have any F2F support?

also hang in there, try to see boredom in a different way (it's natures way of reminding me to look for a new way forward)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Write out a list of what you used to do for fun and take action to do those. It took awhile for to get the fun back, keep taking action.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Also hang in there, try to see boredom in a different way (it's natures way of reminding me to look for a new way forward)
Great inspirational quote!

I've used my time to get a ton of things done around the house - you know, those things you put off for months...like putting up curtain rails, repainting the walks, weeding the yard and planting new shrubs and trees. Turning out closets. I had a huge garage sale, that really helped take up a ton of time. I walk my dog for 1/2 longer each walk than I used to. I'm learning to play electric bass, which I've wanted to do for years. I'm back in the gym. I'm spending more time with my daughters. I'm watching movies in movie theaters instead of on the couch with a bottle of wine.

It's amazing how quickly the gap fills. I thought my world would fall apart with boredom when I quit drinking. Now, 45 days later, I realize time only goes by slowly if you are thinking about having a drink. Now my evenings speed by!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amy

It takes time to adjust to a new way of living I think - drinking was such a huge part of my life that it left a huge hole behind...it takes a little while to learn to live sober and for that 'hole' to heal.

I spent a lot of time here, I also read a lot, took lots of walks and did lots of things I hadn't done in ages.

I think support is important too - it's very important to be connected to other people going through the same thing.

Noone has to do this alone
It is hard - but it's worth it - and it does get easier

Welcome to SR
D
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a post on this site that has people's lists of things to do. It's on the top section above the newbie forum. Find that and it will help.

But I completely share your concern about missing the "fun." Changing our lives this way is not easy. But I suspect that it's worth it.

What if we decided that the most important moment of the day is the moment we wake up. If that's true, then we're not missing any "fun."

Hang in there and welcome to SR.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Amy

Welcome to SR I feel your pain at the moment!!
The cravings you are having are just the "big monster" inside you trying to persuade you to feed it, it will die in time and so will the cravings, you will get your life back. You have stopped for a reason or reasons focus on those and realise that you have jumped the biggest hurdle... you have stopped!!! and you need never drink again. AA might be good for you if you have an mp3 player or iphone you can download AA speakers talking about their experience, strength and hope.. truly amazing and you will feel so uplifted and motivated by what you hear. Sending you a big hug... 6 days is amazing,

Christine x
Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I rather be awake and bored than passed out drunk!

If you think about the different things you have to do you will find many but I understand that the motivation to complete them is lacking right now. We can tell you a number of things but getting off the couch and getting booze out of your mind will help.
Once you start moving and thinking, your brain cells will rub and you will find that you have energy and determination! Then watch out...you won't be able to find ENOUGH things to do!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Amy! Boredom is really common at first. I remember feeling kind of lost for a few weeks. It slowly got better, though, to the point where I found that I actually preferred doing things sober. (What a pleasant surprise!) When I saw it for what it was, I realized that the vicious cycle of drinking was actually the boring life (same thing over and over) whereas sobriety allowed me to be present and ready for whatever new experience came along.

6 days is still really, really early, so I hope you don't give up - they say it can take a year (or even more) for all the negative effects to resolve. So just try to be patient with yourself and remember to take it one day at a time.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First off thanks for all the replies.

instant, I never really thought of it that way and that's a really really good idea. I've have a gym membership so I might go there.

Mcribb, I wrote out a list last night and lets hope it helps

newwings, I'm actually obsessed with tidying and keeping my apartment clean, it's a big distraction

Dee74, yeah it's such a feeling of loss and I suppose your right talking to people and being around people will help... I really hope in what your saying is right - that it get's easier.....but then will it ever go away?

Missy7, thanks for that i'll check that out, thanks for the welcome.

ChrissieB, I really have stopped for major reasons...almost destroyed my life and everyone in it but I have yet to say to myself "I will never ever drink again" It just feels like a break now

EmeraldRose, I know!! I actually feel my age now for once. I have so much energy and am thinking more positively compared to just getting through the day tired and hungover and thinking of ways to "cure" my hangovers.

artsoul, thanks I feel welcome! yeah it is early and yeah it was a vicious cycle of boring drinking times. I mean sometimes I'd have an amazing night but that was rare. I suppose was it all really worth it?