Notices

I've got Friday on my mind

Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
instant

I've got Friday on my mind

Friday is just an ordinary day. It has taken me a long time to get it, but I think I finally get it. The guys from work were going drinking to celebrate the end of the week. Friday has always been my toughest day not to drink. It would always set me up for drinking all weekend and usually a bad hangover on Monday that would drag on until till Wednesday when I would recover. Many weeks my 'weekends' would start on Thursday. As an aside this all evolved from my efforts at 'moderation' from being a daily drinker LOL.

In the past I have always felt friday was "special" and I was "missing out" if it wasn't celebrated. Looking back in my personal life I know why i have these beliefs and feelings. In previous periods of abstinence I have "celebrated' Friday in other ways eg pizza, ice cream, going out for a meal, going for bike rides in the dark or other complex ways to try to satisfy the 'friday is special' thing. I have hung onto something that I kept tripping over, the 'missing out' thing was still there at some level, inseparable from the friday thing.

I started to get the desire to go with the guys today after work. The desire was easily dealt with. I then began to pull apart my beliefs about Friday having to be something, that it never quite (ever) was...............missing out unless it was etc.........until I very surprisingly arrived at idea that friday could be very ordinary and why couldn't that be OK?. It sounds stupid but it was a "penny dropped" moment, that I think will prove very important for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think a lot of us here have issues with Friday (and maybe with Thursday and Saturday too!). One thing that helped me was to attend a Saturday morning meeting of AA regularly. It starts at 1000, so knowing that I will be there is a motivation to stay sober on Friday night. I have now got a committment to help set up the chairs and tables in the rooms before it starts, which means I need to be there at 0930. Not difficult at all provided I don't drink on Friday night.

In fact, I like getting up early on Saturday morning as it gives me a whole day to enjoy. What I never really accepted when I was drinking was that "having fun" on Friday night would mean the best part of the weekend would be ruined. Especially now it's summer.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
until I very surprisingly arrived at idea that friday could be very ordinary and why couldn't that be OK?
Having a hard time with this one currently. Thank you!! I crave the weekend, mostly because I stay deep in my fog. Saw this as I was about to post a weekend thread. I love the thought of all three days of my weekend being ordinary.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Since I was always a stay at home mom, so to speak...my weekdays were the problem.
Since my separation and new life and job I have changed up my schedule. Although my weekend is Wednesday and Thursday I fill up that time grooming dogs. Not bad to make an extra $100 on your days off. So technically, today is my Monday and back to work!
Blah!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!

You know what makes Friday night special for me now? It's the night before Saturday morning—which has never been more enjoyable.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
His Sunshine

Friday can STILL be special...it is for me, because I know that I can catch up on sleep, and better yet...because I don't have to go to WORK for 2 days! Friday also means I can stay out later than usual (no work tomorrow). So tonight the boyfriend and I are doing dinner and a movie. That's a good celebration!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I go to AA on Fridays! LOL Whhoo hoooo at least I remember my interactions with people.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there Instant, wow I can relate with Fri! I thought that for years! Started with my parents drinking every Fri. That's STILL the day they choose, just not every Fri now. lol! But yea is a great way to look at it at just being another ordinary day and that's so ok! My hubby comes home tonight so it's a great one for me. My dishwasher and sink are full so guess that's next. lol! I liked what you had to say. Thanks a bunch for sharing. TGIF....TG for EVERY day! Love~
Old 06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is nice to wake up Saturday mornings full of energy not gonna lie

I do miss hanging out with friends though... Maybe in time I might enjoy being around other people while sober
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe that my worse day of the week is actually Sunday. I've always been busy on saterday but never on Sundays.. then of course trying to get it together for Monday which normally left me with a Hanover until thursday.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I don't celebrate Friday because I am ususally too tired, but if you want to celebrate I would. No day is has to be ordinary.

"what kind of adventure am I going to have today?"

I like to celebrate by sitting on my butt and making sure I stay sober Now Saturday morning.... that is when I celebrate by getting my snooze on.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Thanks everyone . I had also conveniently "forgot" that the reason I am here was that saturday to Wednesday am I was miserable deep down inside, felt like a fraud, and in reality letting myself and others down. On wednesday the worry about how I would approach the weekend would start. The whole cycle had become a trap.

In the past my favourite part of the weekend was Sunday mornings at 6 to 7am feeling relaxed.

Actually last night was special, I am closer to my two girls this last week. They didn't have to disappear to the other TV room because I was drinking and getting garrulous.

I also take the point that all the days are getting 'specialler'
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

if you keep tweeking your life and keep working on yourself you can get your happiness maximized. I try not to settle for just meh days, I try to make them as fun and silly as possible.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm into Fridays too. I generally have important meetings on Fridays and maybe dress a little better than other days, so I would like to go out and feel good about myself.

Right now I've committed to Italian on Fridays. So I have a plan to go to a nice Italian restaurant that does not have a bar. They do serve wine but if I order a soda quickly, I stop thinking about it. Then I eat pasta, then I'm tired enough to watch TV.

That's normally the plan. My husband is sick tonight though, so I guess it's TV and I cook.