Notices

Sideways (movie) and other changing perspectives on movies

Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

try rain in my heart/the bbc documentary on 5 alcoholics....it's shocking.

you can find it on you tube..

this is what alcoholism can do and its frightening
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How about "Mad Men"? I used to love drinking whiskey while watching that show. I imagine by the time it comes around again I'll be repulsed by the drinking-at-work and general booze-culture that it promotes.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Originally Posted by BeenDown2Times View Post
How about "Mad Men"? I used to love drinking whiskey while watching that show. I imagine by the time it comes around again I'll be repulsed by the drinking-at-work and general booze-culture that it promotes.
Mad Men . . . now there's one for you. I used to drink while watching it too. Now that I watch it sober, I remember the plot events! Much better this way.

Mad Men does some pretty interesting things with the subject and seems to me to do a fair job showing the havoc that can come with alcohol. Particularly, there was a really good episode based around John Cheever's short story "The Swimmer" which is about alcoholism. There are a few alcoholic characters who are treated sympathetically, if I remember correctly, and there are AA references too. In my opinion, that show does a really good job presenting the era in a way that does not glamorize it, particularly by fairly representing the roles women played before the sexual revolution (society's limitations).
Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Here's an interesting article about Sideways from around when it was released . Miles steals from his mother and drinks from the spit bucket . . .