Notices

Roomate Stumbling Block

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Roomate Stumbling Block

I need help on an unexpected problem:

My roomate keeps alcohol in the fridge and freezer. I think about it a lot, and though I would never drink it without asking, it makes me avoid getting my own food out when I am hungry. I never had this problem until I try to recover. Any advice about how to deal with this? Sounds petty, but really it has caused me problems.

Peace, InAJar
Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BHF

I don't think that we, as alcoholics, are entitled to ask others to change their normal routines to accomodate us, so you pretty much just have to deal with it? Maybe ask that he put it in a certain place in the fridge so you don't have to reach past it everytime you grab the milk. I've dealt with the same issue previously, my roommate kept beer in the fridge. I knew they were there but just did my best to ignore them.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

This isn't petty at all InAJar. I think it could be very difficult to keep on the path of early Recovery with alcohol sitting right there. I don't necessarily disagree with BHF about not asking others to change their routine. However, can you ask them to keep it somewhere else? Just not have any in the home? Try that. Worse they can say is no. You don't have to ask them to not drink in the home, just not store it there for long periods of time.

Or move if you can. I realize that's extreme, but if it's an option consider it.

Otherwise, suck it up and do the best you can. Get a support system to strengthen your sobriety. Follow a lot of the tips people do here. Some of the tips that stop people from stopping at a liquor store seem applicable.

It's just not a good situation. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you guys have a garage? I know ALOT of people that put a fridge out in the garage to keep their beer chilled. That way..at least you wouldn't have to be reaching over it when you are simply trying to grab a bite to eat. OR how bout this..shelf designation..he gets two shelves..you get two shelves. Let him take the bottom so it isn't at eye level.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you get a mini fridge and have that in your room? If you can't afford it, see if someone who is leaving their job, like teachers, college students graduating, etc. that will give you one.