Notices

10 days and mind is in overdrive

Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

10 days and mind is in overdrive

Day 5 and 6 felt like my real white knuckling, mouth drooling, gotta have it sensation days. But since then while I don't feel i have the real bad physical cravings my mind just wont stop fantasizing about it.

Like today I'm off from work and somewhere between now and 5pm I have a service tech coming out here. After he leaves I gotta go take my truck down to the shop and leave it there overnight. Well right now my mind keeps going over and over the plan of heading down to the store and picking up a 30pk and between all this and having "entertainment" for the night.

My mind just cant get over this whole no drinking plan of mine. Some people say they have a monkey on their back, I got King Kong and family on mine!

So instead of running off to the store I decided to come here instead.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by soberviking View Post
So instead of running off to the store I decided to come here instead.
Right on Soberviking!

I'm 1/2 Norwegian, so I love your name.

Especially in the beginning, do something, anything, everything different.

We can and do get sober and YOU can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

It seem more like rational and cheaper alternative at the moment. My mind has calmed down some but I can still see that 30pk of beer siting in the cooler at the local gas station.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by soberviking View Post
It seem more like rational and cheaper alternative at the moment. My mind has calmed down some but I can still see that 30pk of beer siting in the cooler at the local gas station.
It's always going to be there.

I had to learn that the world was going to continue to revolve around the sun.

What can I change?

Oh yeah, myself

Hit up an AA meeting and see how they recovered. They'll show you how to make that 30 pack disappear.

Kjell~
Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how your feeling bud. The mind wonders a lot in that second week for sure. I know mine did. its because you are starting to feel 110% better, so naturally your subconsious mind says lets get drunk!

What kept me at bay was always looking at tomorrow. Saying to myself that I LOVE waking up clear minded, with energy, and NOT HUNGOVER! And also thinking about how pissed off I would feel if I did drink. You've already come so far, and thats a great acomplishment on its own right! Who wants to toss the days you have away for a meaningless 1 time high that will put you back at the starting line.

Keep trucking forward, think about tomorrow, and try to ignore that constant mind wondering. I know its hard as hell not to think about it, but know that will becoming an easier thing to do as long as you keep going forward. Not Backwards.

Stay strong bud!

-Ryan
Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good choice on coming here instead. Do you have any hobbies to keep you occupied? The first couple weeks I tried to keep myself busy, I did some home improvement projects I had been putting off, I went for walks, played with my kids, heck I even cleaned house and did laundry. Any of these tasks are so much more rewarding compared to polishing off a 30 pack and waking up with a hangover. Stay strong, you can do it!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for coming here instead of reacting to your thoughts of drinking.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you for coming here instead of drinking.

When my kids have a homework assignment and they're complaining I tell them to "chunk it." Meaning, break it down into smaller parts and don't think about the bigger task.

When I first quit, I chunked it too. Broke it down into small increments, just rode out the next 30 minutes in my mind and before I knew it the cravings and crazy thoughts were gone and it was bedtime. Movies and video games helped a lot too, if you have any of that handy.

Good luck, it does get easier.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again SV

Kjell's right - that beers always gonna be there - we can't change that - but we can try and change ourselves

It's great you came here instead - that's an important first step

D