Notices

Antabuse

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pwrlifter

Sadly, no med will work for everyone - you're lucky that you've not been violently ill tho - thats the usual result.

Have you tried the support route -AA or some other group - or failing that, some kind of inpatient or outpatient rehab?

There's always hope - even just being helped me find my way again

good to have you join us

D
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pwrlifter1700 View Post
I'M so sorry for jumping in im new to this. i just registered i need help
i drank a lot: average 12 beers every other night (functionally)
i am now in a DUI class and have come to terms with the fact that i'm an alcoholic. I hate it, it's ruining my life, i dont know how i made it this far.
On average twice a month ill binge and dring 3 to 4 12-packs in a night.
i seem to hate myself everytime i drink...but a day later its like i forget why i hate it.
i got started on Antabuse 2 weeks ago, and was so relieved...no more fighting with myself...no more decision making...no more arguing with the smart me...just cant do it...
1 week later i had to do it...test it out...its a good thing to try right? Even my doc said go ahead try it...the results would strengthen my resolve by negative feedback.

Guess what...i did and it doesnt work...im still taking my antabuse, yet i can drink 7-9 beers with only a bad hangpver the next day. (Hangover never stopped me before)

Im lost...i want sobriety i do...but i seem to be my own worst enemy..ive never missed a dose (and im on 500mg, heaviest dose)

i even take it the morning after with no noticeable effect.

Good news my doc did say there are other meds that reduce craving and can be more effective..i think ill try them.

Im not just trying to find a pill, but i cant explain how i could just keep talking myself into drinking...im desperate..i spend my life 1/2 drunk 1/2 hating myself for being drunk...im miserable
Are you miserable enough to go to AA meetings? For most of us AA is the last house on the block.

Look up AA's number in the phone book and give them a call. Go to some meetings and talk to the oldtimers there... find out how they got sober and stay sober.

My doctor goes to AA, so does the priest and chief of police.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have an appointment to see my doctor and I've been looking into both Antabuse and Campral. I live in Canada and was wondering how expensive they were?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thats a hard one. I considered it for myself, and then, like you, just thought that if I really wanted to drink, Id quit the antabuse. To me it seems like a band-aid fix, without addressing other issues contributing to the problem. I hear it has a lot of side effects too....but I am obviously no doctor.
I think you should ask yourself if YOU want to go on it because you think it may be helpful......I dont think I would do it just because a friend suggested it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi, Kelly---I found that antabue helped me for the first bit of recovery, just so long as I was active in other programs, like AA. I went off it some time ago, like months, but still keep some around in case I ever start have feelings that I might be headed for relapse; basically a safety net, and my Dr. is ok with my approach. Of course I must still keep up with various programs.--nice to hear from you, take care, rick