Notices

R2 Day 6: Phwew! Off to 1st Meeting

Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

R2 Day 6: Phwew! Off to 1st Meeting

Thank you SR for being here for me. I'm going to walk into my first meeting. I'm pretty nervous. I've rehearsed my line. I don't know if this feels real. I will let you know how it went--for those of us still on the fence.

Bye! Thank you for your support.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good luck Missy - I think you'll find a lot of people there who are just like you, and I mean that in the most positive way........ sober alcoholics are pretty cool, I think......

Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope it's a good one, Missy!

I'm going back to the same group that was my first meeting one week ago. I didn't speak at all the first time, but maybe I'll say something today -- dunno.

Dunno if I'm ready for the "I'm an alcoholic" part, out loud.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I chickened out! I got there (had to find it) with about five minutes to spare. I could see this empty room with only two older gentlemen in it. I decided I would obviously have to talk more than I could. So I left. I'm going to look for a noon women's meeting near work and will check back in.

In my defense, this is what I do. I go to horse shows without the horse one time to scope it out. I get to interviews and conferences early to check the area...I guess I don't like surprises.

Sorry guys, sorry me. It would have been good but I have to protect that comfort zone. And really, I need to listen right now.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Missy- there is nothing wrong, and it is often encouraged, for women to attend women's meetings, especially while they are new. If you think it'll make you feel more comfortable run with that - there's nothing wrong with it. There's a reason AA has women's meetings after all. The important thing, to me, is that you actually try some meetings, even if they are all women's meetings at first. Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't be so hard on yourself, you got there, now hopefully next time you can bring yourself to attend. Just remember everyone in that room has, at one point or another, been in the same position as you. Don't give up!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't worry Missy. My AA experience went like this:

First try: Drove by location.
Second try: Drove into parking lot and turned around.
Third try: Drove into parking lot, parked, then pulled out and left.
Fourth try: Drove in, parked, walked up to door, look in window, left.
Fifth try: Drove in, waited in car until 1 minute before meeting, went in and sat down.

Now I couldn't imagine NOT going to meetings.

I travel a lot for my job. I love the thrill of walking into new meetings over the road and in other states that I had never been to before. Kind of like walking through that door for the first time all over again, minus the guilt, shame, and withdrawl symptoms.

Good luck. You'll find it.
Zube
Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I chickened out! I got there (had to find it) with about five minutes to spare. I could see this empty room with only two older gentlemen in it. I decided I would obviously have to talk more than I could. So I left. I'm going to look for a noon women's meeting near work and will check back in.

In my defense, this is what I do. I go to horse shows without the horse one time to scope it out. I get to interviews and conferences early to check the area...I guess I don't like surprises.

Sorry guys, sorry me. It would have been good but I have to protect that comfort zone. And really, I need to listen right now.
Hey Kiddo, That's just fine ! we've ALL been there. There's an old running joke in AA ( yes we laugh ) We would stumble down the sidewalk drunk as a skunk and not care who saw us. Going to our first meeting we parked two blocks away and snuck down the alleys to get there That may not be your situation, but it shows we we're all scared at first.

You'll get there exactly when your supposed too. Not a second too soon or a second too late.

Go getum Killer !

Ron
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ron--that's so FUNNY. You're right. I've done all kinds of stupid things drunk. Didn't care until the next day--I'm sure I've done even more stupid things I don't remember.

But what really freaked me out was that there were only two guys. I mean, later I can deal with that small a group, but right now I think I would have to say too much. I want to get the lingo down.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find a meeting that works for you, Missy!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You will feel it when it is right..Maybe EVERYONE pulled up..only saw those two guys and left..I think if this continues..what I would do is get a bunch of people that work around the meeting area to park there. Then go to work. That way..the REAL AA people will see all the cars and go in..it will be a packed meeting! You just need to find some decoy vehicles.

I can't EVEN tell you how much you remind me of me!!! Cracks me up..
Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ron--that's so FUNNY. You're right. I've done all kinds of stupid things drunk. Didn't care until the next day--I'm sure I've done even more stupid things I don't remember.

But what really freaked me out was that there were only two guys. I mean, later I can deal with that small a group, but right now I think I would have to say too much. I want to get the lingo down.
Completely understandable ! I don't know how big of a city you're in, where I am you can find a meeting any time except 12pm to 5am. You'll find one. Don't be too surprised to find an old HS party pal, or your mom's best friend sitting there.

Ron
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Funny thing happened today. I was at a meeting earlier this morning, just me and Frank, and some new girl walked up to the room, then just like that turned around and left. Huh.

Zube
Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not me Zube. Didn't get out of the car. But I did find a women's meeting at noon and WENT. It was really good for me. It's an odd little crowd and I'm sure it's not too consistent, but I learned a little about the procedures and a couple of other things.

I seem together. I know I do--to them anyway. To me they don't seem like they could ever have done what I've done. Then they started talking. I'm guessing that's what it's about. We all have something profound in common. And it is basic and humbling and I think I can get through my tough afternoon meeting and tonight.

Thanks SR. I'm so grateful I found you.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Don't beat yourself up Missy I hope you find a meeting that works for you! A women's group sounds like a great idea.

-Jess
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

We all have something profound in common.

Zube
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the womens meeting looks better for you, Missy

D
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too hope the womens meeting is a better initial option for you .

L
Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

aAl the best Missy7!!