Notices

What is the difference between ...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I found Carrs book exceptionally helpful...maybe the final piece of the puzzle for me. Read it and you wont want to drink at your poker game

Welcome to SR!

Regarding the initial question...I don't care how I define my drinking. Today I am a non drinker and know my life is immeasurably better for it.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi Pocketpanda,

I love your avatar!

For me the amount of drinking wasn't that stunning. What was happening was that:

1) I was planning my drinking, making sure I always had enough for the evening
2) woke up feeling bad and swearing never to drink again, only to drink again
3) stopped doing things with other people at night so that I could drink at home alone
4) drank more than I wanted to
5) had family members tell me they were concerned (horrible shameful moment)

Really---I didn't drink that much, but by the end it was every day. My doctors weren't that worried, but I did have nasty withdrawal symptoms. Who knew?

The good news is I find it much easier to not drink at all, than to try to moderate (which I did for over a year). No shame. No wondering what stupid things I've said or done. Feeling better physically.

Everyone is different but there are some similarities I read about on SR that made me realize I belong here. The good news is...there are some great people here.

Welcome!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

PP, sounds like you have a good husband. My wife has been my rock. For me it only works if I am 100% open and honest about the situation and process with her. Which is liberating, humbling, difficult and absolutely necessary. You can do this.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi PP-

I agree with the people that commented that the best time to get sober is now. I also realize one doesn't get sober (at least I didn't) until I was beaten up bad enough (good and ready for others). So if nothing else, I hope you feel like you got some good advice here today and good luck on trying to go without for a handful of months if that's what you're going to do. Self-diagnosis is really the only way you can determine if you have a drinking problem that requires abstinence. And if you do find that is where you fall, well I think you'd get a resounding 'heck yea' if you asked the SR crowd if life is better for us alcohol free. More than just not having hangovers anymore too, way more! best of luck to you!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pocketpanda View Post
I figured I'd enjoy a last glass of wine or beer before leaving it behind for 60 days.
PocketPanda-

One of the best suggestions that somebody gave me before I got sober was that setting goals, like 60 days (mine was 5 months), is unrealistic, especially if you are an alcoholic. Set a goal to stay sober today. Then set the same goal tomorrow. Recovery in 24 hour doses is far easier to swallow than a 6 month dose. Before you realize it, those 24 hours will add up to 60 days...6 months...6 years...

It's really cool seeing people around the A.A. tables with over 20-30 years of sobriety, when asked how they did it will invariably say..."One Day At A Time".

Good luck to you. Don't give up 5 minutes short of the miracle.
Zube
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Excellent Zube!

You said it best---kudos to you!
Setting a goal like 60 days, 60 years, whatever, is not the best way to achieve anything; the very best way is to go 24 hrs at a time.
I never looked beyond a day while recovering and I still don't. What happens on day 61? Do you reward yourself? Remember, insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.
Good luck to you!!