Notices

Safety and going cold turkey and hi I'm new.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Safety and going cold turkey and hi I'm new.

Hi,

I'm new here and have a question. I miss a lot of work due to hangovers and today really has to be last one. While I don't think my job is in real jeopardy yet, I'm letting people down and I'm tired of hating myself for that. I'm also afraid I'm doing serious damage to my body.

Here is a quick background for the question.

I'm a 46 year old female who mostly drinks every other day, but lately has stepped it up two days on and one day off. I can drink an entire bottle of wine and then a beer or two. If I'm drinking hard liquor (whisky, gin or vodka), it's six to eight shots depending on the alcohol content. When I'm drinking the hard stuff, I often don't recall what I did toward the end of the evening. I only do this at home. I've been doing this for years.

I'm worried about stopping cold turkey because I've read about seizures and complications. However, I always feel really great the second day (before I start drinking again that night). Does that mean it's pretty much safe for me to just NOT drink again rather than ween myself?

(I'm glad I found this forum. I feel very much alone in this.)

Thanks,
panda
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi panda

We can't give medical advice here - apart from anything else, every person is different and, at least in my experience, every detox is different too.

I detoxed without assistance many many times - and then had some very dangerous complications the last time.

So...it's always my advice here to see a Dr..its the responsible thing to do.

D
Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. You're right. I'm so filled with shame about my drinking that it's hard to imagine me even telling my doctor--I always lie about the amount when asked. It's stupid, I know. I need to get over that.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know where you are so I don't know if this is feasible, but maybe you can see a different doctor?

Getting the help is the most important thing right now

D
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank at home, alone, too. And, I usually couldn't remember everything that happened and sometimes there were big gaps in my memory. It was awful, shameful, disastrous behaviour and the negative emotions keep you hooked. Know that you can stop drinking and live a sober life.

Do talk to your dr.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did you just stop cold turkey, Anna? Did you go to AA meetings? I think I need to hit the success stories section of this board for inspiration. (I'm assuming I'll find them in here somewhere.)

And thanks. I'll definitely try to talk to my doctor. I just need courage.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pocketpanda,

I stopped cold turkey, on my own, I wouldn't advise it to anyone. It was very stupid on my part and very scarey. I think everyone's detox is different but it can kill you. If you don't want to tell your regular doctor go to a different one, just go. You can do this and you will be so much happier once you do. Good luck and take care of yourself.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Hi Pocketpanda-

Hey there,
I'm new to the board, I'm 46 & a gal too (geez, we're practically sisters!). I joined b/c I'm dealing with opiate withdrawals but I am ALSO an alcoholic so I can chime in here with some thoughts.
Quickie background on me-my drinking ended before I hit my 18th bday because from the start, I was experiencing blackouts and hangovers that caused me the tremors...I had a brief relapse in 2003, accompanied by a serious car accident, loss of a job, and a DWI with probation and all the trimmings.
You say you're losing time at work b/c of hangovers and while it seems your job isn't in jeopardy at the moment, you might want to re-think that. You may think that just b/c you don't drink at work that people don't know what your story is, then you're probably wrong. People see more than you realize. If you call in sick on Mondays especially--then everyone on the floor knows why, I guarantee it.
Please instead of buying booze after work, google AA meetings in your area. Please don't get to that point where you could lose a job, it's beyond humiliating. You might think that you can't live your life without ever touching liquor again, but AA teaches you to do it 24 hrs at a time.
Thanks for listening to me and I hope to see you around.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stopping Suddenly/Weaning

Sorry, I forgot to add this:
Talk to your doctor, no holds barred. Tell Doc the truth or print off your post and let 'im read it.
Alcoholism is a medical disease, like anything else, should be treated. It's not a moral issue.
And as for what you read about seizures and all that scary stuff on the net, forget it. Everyone is different, that's why you'd be so much better off on getting over being embarrassed and talking with your doctor.
Good luck and Godspeed
Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You all are making me cry. Just being able to admit any of this, even to internet strangers is profoundly freeing. I almost believe that I can really do this. Thank you so much.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did stop cold-turkey, but I wasn't aware of the risks and I was lucky, just lucky.

And, no I don't go to AA meetings, but I do work on recovery every day. I know you can do it. I didn't think I could stop drinking either, but I did. I have been coming here to SR every day for years, I've read many books on the spiritual aspects of recovery and I work hard to keep balance in my life. You can do it!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up You Can Do It

You CAN...you've already started!
Now please go and call your doctor, be honest, and you'll be terrific!
Yeah and stay on the board, write in with your progress.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome panda! SR is awesome! Keep reading/posting. Nice to meet you!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! I agree that getting medical advice is important, especially if you have been drinking for years. When I told my Doctor, I didn't really tell him first, I first told his nurse first who was taking my vitals before the appointment.

She told me that I was really brave for being honest about my drinking and she wished her father would have done that. I didn't expect that response and it made me feel a little better.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yes

You can quit cold turkey. Your drinking pattern is bad because it does not require medical attention, but it allows you to think you're "sick" and you can't just stop- well it's not like that.

I drink pretty much they way you do. In one way it's yay: it's safe and it's not that bad, and it's nowhere near life-threatening, in another way it's pretty sad, because it allows to feel "abnormal" and still go overboard - self-pity is allowed, right?

Fact is if you come here to look for an answer you have a problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

pocket panda,

We have very similar stories. I am 36 and have been drinking practically every other day for 15+ years. After 6 months of hating myself the mornings after drinking, I finally told my doctor exactly how much I had been drinking in an effort to get some help as I admitted to myself I couldn't stop/control the drinking on my own. It was very tough, but I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders when I left her office. Trust me, your doctor has seen and heard much worse than you could possibly imagine. Your story is not going to shock him/her and you will receive the necessary medical attention as well as an ally in your fight to quit. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome pocketpanda - you're not alone... and I agree with Bakogal that doctors have seen a LOT worse. In fact, they're used to seeing people with all kinds of health problems from alcohol abuse who just deny their problem. I think it's always a positive for them to have someone who actually wants to deal with it.

It's scary at first, but take it one day at a time. I started feeling better and stronger after a few days (my drinking was about the same as yours). It really does get better. Support is vital though...... so keep us updated!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all again so much. I have such mixed feelings. I'm grateful to hear from others who have similar patterns to me, but I'm also sad that you all are in the same boat.

I will tell my doctor. I also took the step of talking to my husband about it just now. (He enables me and I told him that I need to stop. At least for a little while. I know he'll stop drinking around me--he doesn't have the problem I do--but I don't think he'll stop smoking pot. Sadly, that triggers me.)

Anyway, I will keep reading this forum and will check in. I've already done one hard thing as a result of posting (opening the dialog with my husband) and I'm going to tell my doctor.

Thank you.