Notices

Support Line?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support Line?

I know there is a 24/7 report line for AA but I don't know what types of calls they take. I thought it was just for purposes of learning about AA.

I'm going to a meeting tonight and I just now came to terms with everything I've done to myself and people who love me.
I don't want to call my friends and bother them with my problems anymore, I just really need to talk on the phone with someone right now.

I just realized how far I've fallen and I'm afraid I've already done too much damage. I'm not suicidal though, I'm just confused, frustrated, and scared and I want to talk to someone who knows where I'm coming from. Who can understand and just listen. How did I let myself get to this point?

Could I even call one of you? I don't know what to do, I just have do something, anything, to get this out. It's all so overwhelming. Other times I tried to come to terms with the fact that I am an alcoholic weren't sincere. I've never felt any guilt and remorse like this in my life. This is a sincere admission to myself. I want to control my drinking, but how do I remedy the past?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Howdy Howdy!

Boy do I know how you feel. Here are some suggestions. Pick one.

Call that AA number you have.

If you are not in a big city the New York and the L.A. AA hotlines have staff that take calls just like you need now. Call one of them long distance if need be.

Call your doctor.

If you are into church call your minister.

If you are not stuck at work go to an AA meeting now. They have them at all times of day in cities.

Hang in there and call one of them now.

BTW I did not know if the AA hotlines took those kinds of calls and called another hotline which is just a referrel for rehabs and found out that the bigger AA groups have that service you need. So I learned today too!

Call!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, I live near San Francisco so I'm sure they take the same kinds of calls as other big cities.

How would I start the phone call with AA? Say that I finally realized I've hit bottom and I'm scared and need to talk to someone, even if they don't say anything back. I've never called AA before so I'm not sure how the people are.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am PMing you.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never felt any guilt and remorse like this in my life. This is a sincere admission to myself. I want to control my drinking, but how do I remedy the past?

Part of the recovery process is learning how to deal with the guilt and shame and overwhelming fear we have of the past. It is a learning process of dealing with each. There is no way to change the past. It is there as a constant remeinder of what we need NOT do. But we can change the future. If heading to AA or going to a rehab is beneficial for you now -then go.
I know what its like to want to talk to people but there are limited people on my list. My parents know and are supportive but can't help with the technicalities of recovery. My brother is a principal researcher in the medical field but he works and I can't burden him daily with my problems. (I know he would say otherwise) I have a few from AA that are willing. That would be your vest bet...get to AA. They will just about throw phone numbers at you if you are suffering. LOL
The best thing to do is find a sponser, help line, clergy -just anyone that is a neutral party that is willing to listen. I could listen but I don't feel I am in a strong enough spot to offer advice. Most of the advice offered by me here is merely from experience, what I have gone through or feel. You need advice of what YOU need to do and how to deal with those feelings.
It is hard once the fog lifts and we are left with a big dusty cloud of regret. I hope that dealing with it can help you move on in your recovery.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you made the call & it all went well Howdy

D
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I hope

That call worked out too. Sorry I had to leave or I would have answered but Anna gotcha.

Did you get to your first meeting too?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, thanks for the help everyone.
I went to my first meeting tonight and I was uncomfortable, obviously, but I really enjoyed it. People practically threw their phone numbers at me in case I ever needed to call. Whether it to talk, hang out, or just need a ride to a meeting.

I'm going to one for young people tomorrow and am looking forward to return to Women's AA Night next Monday.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased you are finding local support
Those people really do want you to call...if you can't
reach one..keep going until someone answers...

Good for you...