Notices

Truth and Honesty

Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Artoro View Post
This is an important subject mattcake.

To live an honest live was pretty much the first thing I decided to do when I quit drinking. Stop all the endless lies, big and petty.

I can't say I'm there yet but I'm trying. I still catch myself making up stories and mentally preparing lies beforehand. As with other things in my recovery I try not to be too hard on myself because of it, but try instead to take note of the thoughts, correct them and move on.
You've pretty much summed it up, Artoro. "Correcting" thoughts is vital. They won't just magically change by themselves, lol.

Thank you
Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by departure View Post
At the meeting I went to yesterday, someone said they find that now they are telling on themselves constantly.

I think that finding the truth and tools of their recovery, it can be applied to all other aspects of life and help them from keeping the errors, mistakes, and feelings of failure in that might otherwise jeopardize their sobriety.

Departure, I agree with "telling on yourself". Where there is truth, there is no room for denial...
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mr Corn, I saved your post for the end.

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
That's just your latent Catholic guilt, waiting for an opportunity to strike... :-)
It's not guilt, it's shame. Guilt is usually a feeling that you get when you know you've done something wrong.

Shame is pervasive. You don't know *what* you did wrong, but you still feel guilty. And, yes, the powerful institution that you mentioned filled my life with shame for many years. I turned my back on that institution when I was 18 years old, and it was a very difficult process. Now, at 31, I feel a new wave of shame that I can trace back to it.

I know this first hand. It's not nice, being 13 and being told by the powers that be that you're going to Hell for loving another human being - of your same sex.

[QUOTE=JohnBarleycorn;2935135] Are you lying because you are trying to spare people's feelings, or because you are trying to avoid unnecessary and needless conflict?

Neither. Or both. I'm not sure. I do know that it's a lingering symptom of my addiction. Lies are the foundation of addiction. It's taking conscious effort to stop lying, period.

If the lying is not needlessly habitual, there are certainly times when it is justified to do so.

Engage in this behavior routinely, however, and people will pick up on it, thus having the opposite effect.
These days I disagree with that. In theory, I'd rather tell the truth from the start, and deal with the consequences. Work in progress.

Originally Posted by Matt
Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
The irony being, I don't lie about the "big stuff", not to anyone's face, and hopefully not to myself. I'm trying on that last one.

Freedom, Kindness, Truth and Honesty... I want to be consciously guided by those values/principles.
As long as it is tempered by reality...
No. I'm learning about the importance of having guiding values in my life. They are absolute and not tempered by circumstances ie reality. They are what I strive for... and, strangely enough, they are what I can offer freely, right now.

Thanks, Johnny
Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's just your latent Catholic guilt, waiting for an opportunity to strike... :-)
It's not guilt, it's shame. Guilt is usually a feeling that you get when you know you've done something wrong.

Shame is pervasive. You don't know *what* you did wrong, but you still feel guilty.
This could start a whole philosophical discussion - entire volumes have been written on it - but here goes.

Shame tends to be brought on by a violation of cultural or social values, while guilt tends to arise from violations of one's internal values.

If one has internalized those cultural or social values, even unconsciously, it is possible to feel ashamed of thought or behavior that no one knows about (ie, being gay and "in the closet").

Similarly, it is possible to feel guilt about actions that others approve of, if they violates one's internal values. For example, drinking is generally culturally accepted, and my old drinking buddies would probably approve 100% of me drinking, but it would violate my internal values, and I would probably feel guilt in doing so.

And, yes, the powerful institution that you mentioned filled my life with shame for many years. I turned my back on that institution when I was 18 years old, and it was a very difficult process. Now, at 31, I feel a new wave of shame that I can trace back to it.

I know this first hand. It's not nice, being 13 and being told by the powers that be that you're going to Hell for loving another human being - of your same sex.
That old black/white dichotomy of good vs. evil, saint vs. sinner dies a hard death.

Read Nietzsche. :-)

Are you lying because you are trying to spare people's feelings, or because you are trying to avoid unnecessary and needless conflict?
Neither. Or both. I'm not sure. I do know that it's a lingering symptom of my addiction. Lies are the foundation of addiction. It's taking conscious effort to stop lying, period.
Fair enough.

If the lying is not needlessly habitual, there are certainly times when it is justified to do so.

Engage in this behavior routinely, however, and people will pick up on it, thus having the opposite effect.
These days I disagree with that. In theory, I'd rather tell the truth from the start, and deal with the consequences. Work in progress.
Therein lies a problem with absolutes not tempered by reality. They can lead to painful consequences.

Accepting consequences for you alone is fine, but what about the consequences for others? Shouldn't they be taken into account?

For example, if someone where to ask me, in your presence, "John, do you think that mattcake79 is a fat, ugly, slimeball?" and I believed that you are (I don't), might not absolute honesty on my part be unjustified, based on the consequences?

Freedom, Kindness, Truth and Honesty... I want to be consciously guided by those values/principles.

As long as it is tempered by reality...
No. I'm learning about the importance of having guiding values in my life. They are absolute and not tempered by circumstances ie reality. They are what I strive for...
Ideals are good, and striving for them is also good, but ideals must be tempered by reality.

It is following blind idealism not tempered by reality, such as was the case with transcendental Marxism, that leads to the most horrific suffering imaginable. Entire continents destroyed and millions of innocents killed on the basis of an ideal which had little basis in reality.

In a civilized society, we must always take into account the effects our actions would have on others if carried out, even if we believe them to be ideal and just.

"We all carry within us our places of exile, our crimes and our ravages. But our task is not to unleash them on the world; it is to fight them in ourselves and in others."
-- Albert Camus (L’HOMME RÉVOLTÉ)
Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettingStronger2 View Post
Matty,

I think the post itself shows truth and honesty. With yourself and those of us here.

Honesty is a big issue for all of us. I think that as we grow in our recovery and work on ourselves, we find the lies and hidden truths start to fall away. Just keep working, you will get there.
Thanks, GS.. "Working together" is great advice

I can't take being lied to, yet... ugh. Again, working in that direction.
Sorry to quote myself, but I'd like clarify what I meant by this. It's "I can't take being lied to, yet... I lie." So... yikes. There it is.