Notices

finding it so hard to stop

Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finding it so hard to stop

I'm finding it so hard to even get past day 1. I feel useless and weak that wine has such a hold over me. Its never that much but its very regular and i know in my heart and soul that my life would be so much better and happier sober. Could today be a new beginning? I really hope so.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marria
Welcome

I remember not being able to get past a day too.
I think support makes a huge difference, and you'll find a lot of that here.

Feel free to drop into our 'Class of April' thread - it's the thread for folks who have stopped this month, or are trying to

D
Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Marria.
Do you have any suppport around you? That helps...being here on this site helps too. In fact it's help me tremendously.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here. Hang in there sobriety can be tough at the beginning but it does get better. Your life can get better, never lose hope.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Marria
Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Marria,

We are here for you. Post away.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Marria - sounds like you're one of "us." I used to quit in the mornings but take it back in the afternoon. We know what it's like.

Have you ever gotten help for detox? If you can get through the first few days it will help break the cycle.

I hope you keep reading/posting - you don't have to live this way......:ghug3
Old 04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us...Welcome...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marria,

Welcome!

It's really hard to believe how strong the hold of addiction is on us.

You can get through today and stay sober, so hang in and keep reading and posting.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, keep coming back and reading and posting for support, it has been a huge help for me during difficult days.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey!

Hi Marria,
Congratulations on taking the addiction on full bore. If you are making it through most of a day you have me beat. I couldn't make it through the first hour awake. I'd have a shot of scotch in my coffee first thing and for the next four cups one in each of those. "Just to take the edge off." Then I'd switch to beer once I had my buzz on.

When I realized the fix I was in, and got to where you are now, I'd resolve that "today is the day," and skip the shot in my first cup resolving to not drink that day. That tasted so good that I rewarded myself by deciding to have a shot in my second cup. Funny how fast I could talk myself out of quitting.

Someone already asked if you have any external and local support. Here is a great place to start. I was not strong enough to do it on my own and was a bit leery of withdrawals. I checked myself into a hospital detox program knowing that if I could get through detox I would never touch another drop again.

And I haven't for almost 7 months. It is permanent. I already drank enough in my lifetime for any ten so called "normal" social drinkers in their lifetimes.

But like all of us, I started in despair of having the willpower, and in desperation reached out like you are doing now too. If you are desperate enough, and have had enough, you will say ENOUGH!

And whatever it takes, you will find you have enough.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Marria, Welcome! I felt just like you and knew that it was time to be set free from the power of alcohol.

I am also trying to give up wine. I got tired of the foggy head, headaches, tired feeling the day after drinking, and all the money I was wasting on booze. The biggest most obivious help is not to keep it in the house (and curse every liquor store you drive by!) I have recently noticed just how many liquor stores there are within a few mile radius. The poison is so readily available, it's sickening.

Wishing you the best as you begin your journey. Another thing that has helped me is to read books about addiction. Personal stories with victory over abuse are so inspiring to me. I drink my evening tea and go to bed with an encouraging book to keep my mind on the prize.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The Support feels great

I'm about to go to work, the start of a new day and I want to say thank you so much for all the words of encouragement sent my way.Reading your replies is such a lovely way to begin my week. I feel quite emotional actually because I realise how alone I have felt with this struggle. I'm hugely reluctant to confide in friends and family as I want to quit for good and then let people know I'm not drinking anymore without going into explainations. Hopefully with online support I can manage to do it this time!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family, Marria. Hope you have a great day at work!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Marria, you're never alone here. Keep posting, keep reading. Stay open to & appreciate the experiences of the long-time sober. Seek & accept the support of those of us new to the bright & shiny world of recovery.

Wishing you a peaceful, sober day x
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Marria!

Happy you joined our community. You can stop the hold wine has over you. The answer is within yourself. Took me a while to figure that out. The alcohol is what's making you feel useless and weak. It likes for you to stay that way!

Your much better than any bottle of wine. I hope you make today your new beginning! Keep reading here, posting and maybe some outside support? Life is good and you can turn yours around. Start loving yourself and your soul will heal.

Best Wishes To You
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mirria, It's 3:15 here and I'm 15 minutes sober. Welcome. This is a great site. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here's your thought for today

A quote:

Real difficulties can be overcome, it is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable.

Theodore N. Vail

How true that is!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Finding support is what got me through the first 40 days or so. I could not have done that without the outpatient treatment program I went to for 6 weeks as well as AA meetings to fill in the weekend gap. At outpatient I had wonderful support from others struggling with addiction. Plus, you are definitely held accountable for staying sober. Your group members are counting on you to stay sober to help them stay sober. AA is like that, too.
All the other times I tried to quit, and there were so very very many times, I wanted to do it alone. Without admitting my problems to others and without asking for help. In the end I could not count on myself to be strong enough. I would lose whatever resolve I had within hours or days. Once I'd stepped out and told someone I needed help, I really couldn't go back, you know?