Notices

ready to be a non-drinker

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ready to be a non-drinker

Hello All,

I am coming here for support and accountability. I have never received any type of counseling and I am not in AA. I don't know if I would be considered an alcoholic, but what I do know is I am sick of drinking and giving in to the temptation. I have been drinking a bottle of wine (3-4 glasses) for 3-6 nights a week over the past 10 years. Wow, just typing that makes me sick and I hate to think what I have done to my body. My husband doesn't think I have a problem but rather a weakness for wine. I think it's a problem.

The longest I have gone w/o a glass is for 2 weeks, then I decide one night won't hurt but one night always leads to more. I do not want to moderate, I want to stop altogether.

That was a bit of a ramble but thanks for reading. I am going to use this site as my accountability. If I can not say no to the wine, I'm going to seek out an AA meeting.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome sarah14!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by sarah14 View Post
I am going to use this site as my accountability. If I can not say no to the wine, I'm going to seek out an AA meeting.
Hi Sarah-

Welcome to SR and I usually ask "what's your plan?", but you've already got one and I think that's a great start.

If it turns out you've got a problem, just know what we can and do recover and you can be living proof.

I'm an AA'er, so just let me know if you have any questions.

Kjell~
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah! I'm glad your coming to terms with your drinking. You know your body best. If you need support don't hesitate to get it. We have a great forum here of course, even a chat room if you wanna talk to others going through the same issues.

Best Wishes To You ! :ghug3
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I've only been a member for 4 days now, but I've found this place to be extremely helpful at keeping myself accountable. Lots of good advice and support on this site. I wish you the best and we're all here to help you!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

I have found that SR is a lifeline for me.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Sarah!

Glad you found this forum and want to stop drinking. I didn't think I could live without alcohol, but am glad I was proven wrong!

Just a side note: I used to think a bottle of wine had 3-4 glasses in it too, but found out that a single serving is really 5 ounces....... (so a bottle really has 7-9 glasses, depending on the alcohol content).

Getting support is crucial and I know you'll find lots of it here. Unless your husband has had an addiction, he can't understand what we go through daily (the obsession, regret, picking up a drink even when we know what it's doing to us).

It takes more than a couple weeks to get free of this..... but it really can happen for you, too!:ghug3
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, I am very much like you. To most people they would think that i just drink a little to much. I am very functional in most aspects of my life. I am the one holding myself accountable saying this has to stop. On day 10 feeling fantastic, felt the temptation to drink, however don't want to give up this feeling! Just chalk up one day at a time!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome! It has already helped just to type out (even to strangers that I have a problem and would like to quit.

artsoul, my husband does not have an addiction so you're right, he doesn't understand the battle within. Good point about the size of the glass. I knew it was a problem when I emptied the bottle every time.

jimmy dean, Congrats on day 10! In March, I went two weeks w/o wine and felt great! Head was clear, eyes weren't irritated, wasn't needing a nap every day, and my workouts were so much better. But then I went to a wedding. I told myself and my husband that I wasn't going to drink but I did. So, here I am back to my old patterns and knowing that it's better for me to abstain. Stay strong. I hope to begin chalking up many days of freedom in the near and distant future.

I chose to begin my wine free life on a Friday. The old me would have said I'll just drink over the weekend and start new on Monday. There's always that desire for just one more. Well, no more.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sarah - I know you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Let us know how AA goes. It took me a few months to get into the swing of it. Welcome!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

becoming a non drinker was the wisest move I've ever made
Congratulations ...Welcome...
Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Sarah welcome to SR.