Notices

new here

Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Hello,

I am posting because I am at the point where I have made a reservation for detox/rehab...I have lots of questions about that; any experiences you could share would be great! I'm feeling very nervous about it. One of the reasons I self-medicate with alcohol is social anxiety (and a bunch of other anxieties, and phobias, yadda yadda) and the idea of talking to a group makes me feel ill.

Within the last year, my drinking has spiralled out of control. I have been a daily drinker for most of my adult life. I used to be able to control it during the weekdays 3 beers or glasses of wine, but often got sh*tfaced on weekends. Then when my thirties hit, I went on a year long daily drinking *during* the day as well as night. Some days more than others. It was making me really sick, so I gradually cut back because of that and wanting a kid. When I finally got pregnant I was down to 1 wine a night. Quit at that point and have a beautiful, healthy baby boy After I weaned him I started up *RIGHT* away, every night again between 3-5 drinks. But never during the days. As of last year a bunch of stressors came up and I went on a 2 week binge and landed in the hospital with symptoms of DT's. They detoxed me in 3 days and I discovered I have severe GERD as one of the fun side effects. My lft numbers were very high. I was scared straight for a whole, wonderful month! Needless to say that did not last and I've been back and forth between keeping it to 1 drink a day and periodic binges. Sigh. So my GERD started acting up again and I could barely eat this last time. I feel so horrible just from that! I managed to drink only one bottle of wine today. Yay.

Thank you for taking the time to read all that, but if you didn't I don't blame you! I guess the main thing I"m here for is support until I can check into rehab on friday...

thanks!
Anne
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome qwerrt...I think the detox will be great for you. Lots of support and good care.
I didn't go to detox but I did do rehab. It was so 'refreshing'. Learned alot -hopefully, you'll learn alot and not take that first drink. I wish you the best and keep posting.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Anne.

I don't know much about detox programmes as I have never been to one. However, I do the periodic binges. I often wonder if I would do more if work didn't get in the way. I hope you get the help you need there.

I'm really trying to stop.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Girl, sounds like you could use detox/rehab. Don't worry about the other people, they will quickly feel like family to you. I have been through it 8? 9? times now. Eventually it will click.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, qwerrt - Are you going into a short detox or a 30 day (or more) inpatient rehab?

I went to a 30 day rehab twice. One was an all-inclusive, more hospital-like setting (expensive, but covered by insurance due to a dual diagnosis). The other was strictly a drug/alcohol program. Both were wonderful and gave me time to focus on recovery.

I'm not sure what kind of facility you're going to, but I would expect lots of therapy, from one-on-one, to group.... and lots of educational-type classes and probably AA meetings. There's always homework to do, but you do get some down time for a few hours each day. Any other questions, I'd be glad to help.......

The anticipation is always worse that the reality...... I really felt out of it when I went in and by the time it was over, I felt like staying!

Congratulations on making the decision to address your drinking!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi all, thank you for all your words.

In response to your question, I am going into a short detox (3-5 day) followed by extensive outpatient involvement. I can't at this point be gone for 30 days unfortunately, although I know I would benefit. I have serious concerns about my health and felt that detoxing at home just wasn't working anymore.

wish me luck!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Brother Qwertt, I am a newbie her and my bag now is oxycodone, I drank everyday from 18-30. 12 pack minimum. I woke up july 5,2000 and said screw this, I'm to old for this crap and haven't had a drink since. It hurt to get off. SHakes,etc. But you CAN do it. Hang tight there brother It does get bether.
Keep posting even if you slip up. Not everone gets it the first time. Don't sugar coat your post good or bad, say it how it is. Someone here will have gone through it and may be able to help.
God Bless.
Bones
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Anne

I have no experience to share but I know you'll find a lot of support here

D