Notices

Anyone Else Living Without a Car?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Else Living Without a Car?

Hi, I'm writing because I lost my car to using and I am still unable to afford a new one. I have been riding busses and catching rides, however, I feel sort of embarrassed like everyone knows. I must admit when I'm riding the bus I think to myself "Are some of these ppl on here drug users and DUIers (Ha not a word I know). I'm just helping to save the environment right? I'm just curious if there are other people without transportation and how you handle it?

Thank you,
Stacy
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My first 2 years in sobriety I used bus,trains, bicycles and fellowship members kind enough to give me a lift.
It was humbling, yes I know.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can come and get my car! for some reason since I have stopped drinking I have not wanted to drive, buses are cheaper and walking keeps me fit, I was just thinking of this the other day. And yes you are helping the environment!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Yep Stacy, I'm definitely in that situation. My second DUI (which was also the last time I drank) led to a 12-month license suspension. So I usually take 2 buses to work, and sometimes a train for 6 blocks, depending on the weather. Other times I ride my bike that 6 blocks, and sometimes I ride it 2.5 miles on a trail that cuts out one of the bus rides.

But no matter how I slice it, a trip to work that would take 15 minutes if I drove now takes me 1-1.5 hours.

As I said, I purchased a sweet bike. Got a really good deal on it from a friend, and not only does it cut down on walking/short-distance cab rides, but it's great exercise and I can tell that I've gotten in better shape since I've been riding. I also kinda like the freedom of just riding around wherever I want to go. I live just north of Atlanta, and I work in Midtown Atlanta, so there are lots of stores and restaurants within short distances that I can ride to.

It really doesn't embarrass me at all to take public transportation or ride my bike. I made a mistake and I'm paying for it, but that mistake was necessary in order for me to change my life. And I know it's temporary, and I will one day be out there on the roads driving free, so I won't let this situation get me down since I know that there will be a positive outcome to it. I won't be on the bus forever, so why let it bother me now?

And when I'm on the bus, I watch movies or church sermons on my iPhone, read my Bible, listen to music, work on the schedule for my job...Just whatever I need to do to pass the time. I don't worry too much about the other folks on the bus. It's none of my business what led them to that particular place.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My first 2 years in sobriety I used bus,trains, bicycles and fellowship members kind enough to give me a lift.
It was humbling, yes I know.
Yep, mine too. And when I did get one, it was really an old old clunker. Now mind you I did get sober in June of '81, but this was a Pinto, roflmao. However, my sponsor's hubby did have a couple of his buddys go over it to make sure it was mechanically sound, and it did the trick. It was an old beater, almost as bad as what I had when I got sober, a '63 Ford with all 4 corners bashed in and a coat hanger for an aerial (what they used to call a 'typical alkie's car').

Yep, it sure helped me get 'humble.' I had to 'ask' for rides, sheesh. But those rides were some of the best conversations I had had in years!!!!!! Yep, I rode the bus to work, until some co-workers convinced me they came right by where I lived and could pick me up and take me home at night. Yes, I gave them gas money.

Eventually, as my financials improved and I paid off old debts, my cars improved and over the years I did get newer cars and/or trucks. Then I got smart again and looked for a good deal instead. My latest, .......................... a1997 Chevy Blazer with only 40,000 original miles on it, with the Car Fax, the vehicle is IMMACULATE, SHOW ROOM QUALITY (It was garage kept by an elderly couple) and I LOVE IT! Not only that, there is not much difference in the style between mine and the new ones, roflmao

So riding the bus for a bit, and saving your pennies, I M H O all goes to one's own individual self esteem, and how well we can and are doing in recovery.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an American but I think we see cars in the same way here in Oz.
I haven't driven for 20 years - long before my drinking got to me.

It was a life style choice.

I don't feel self conscious ever - I think a lot of ppl don't use their cars - these days especially.

D
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

30 years of city living ..drunk and sober...made having a car
impractical. For trips...I rented one....

Relocating to areas with few other options meant owning my own
I sold the last car about 5 years ago...due to my limited vision.

I sure appreciate the drivers who continue to get me around to
meetings ...errands and whatever. I give them gas money....and
it gives us time to enjoy each others company one on one...

If you feel deprived over not having a car..,time for a gratitude List.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

In a rural area, it might be logistically challenging, but in the past three years that I've been living part-time in the city, I've been amazed to meet a lot of people who've never owned a car. Finding parking, paying upkeep and insurance--all unnecessary expenses, they say. Some have driver's licenses, some don't. Like Carol, if they need to make a long trip and public transportation isn't practical, they'll rent a car. But, other than that, they use bicycles, buses, subways, trains, planes...I've been told if it's something you've never had, you don't miss it.

So, depending upon where you live, it's possible a lot of the other bus riders are bus riders by choice.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm still badly drunk and losing everything but I did actually manage to get my head together enough to get my car taxed yesterday. I was roaring drunk in the post office and had to reassure the woman who served me that I wasn't actually intending to drive it

Over here in this part of the UK you struggle to find work without transport.

It has actually given me a little tiny ray of hope that I managed to do this. It was because the day had come and I had to or face losing the car.

Plenty of people live and work and function without wheels though. I really wouldn't feel embarrassed about using a bus or a train. Doesn't mean you are a failure in any way.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

You should be proud to commute without a car. You will be much healthier without one and instead of contributing to the depletion or our resources and global warming you will be part of the solution.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have totaled 2 cars in the last 6 months. (drunk, of course) I have THREE DUIs. Thank God I have finally surrendered and admitted I am powerless of over alcohol. It took what it took. I am so grateful to be alive and to have not killed someone.

I am not working now and get rides to meetings with the wonderful people at my home group. Unfortunately there is no public transportation in my county. otherwise I would definitely utilize it.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I live in a country that is not car-dependent. Every time I go back home to the states I am always astonished how totally the US is dependent on cars.

For half the monthly price of gas I can travel with a commuter card that lets me travel with buses, commuter trains, subways and even boats.

Many elderly should not be driving in the US, but they have to. There is no option for them. Many young teens are also given no option but to drive. And yet their parents cannot afford to buy them a car nor can they afford the insurance. Thousands of drunk and drug convicted are also forced to drive after their convictions because it is the only way they can get to work.

The choice many states in the US have made regarding mass transit is nothing but a ticket on the gravy train of the car dealers and car makers. Sadly it doesn't have to be that way: there are many pre-car cities in the US with excellent mass transit systems.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Oh, I feel you. I lost my license 18 months ago due to my first DUI..then a couple of months later my husband trashed my car in an accident (he's not a drinker at all). Luckily I live in a big city with tons of alternative transportation. It's hard depending on someone else to get rides. I walk and use public transportation...to be honest if I had a car and my license, I'd be driving.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had my mother's car since moving back to Ireland last June. Small practical jilloppy that runs on fresh air! I had to get a car as I felt I wanted independence and was looking for ages. I had just about convinced myself that I "deserved" a jeep wrangler. It was always my favourite. Tax, 1000euro/year. Insurance, aargh!, Gas, eek! Tyres, 200euro each, owww!. Then I bought a Fiat ("Fix it again tomorrow" as my brother calls them) Seicento.

Bought and paid for last Sunday. 850 euro, 150 euro tax. You get the picture. No stress, no vanity, good to the environment and a lovely bright red with a sunroof. My father disagreed with the sunroof saying, "They took have the bloody roof off!"

I am tickled pink and have got loads of compliments. (Pity?)

I never got a DUI, but that is just coz I was in Manhattan and didn't drive. I am pretty sure though, that I couldn't have found a car anyway in the state I was in! Also, home drinking and very "conscientious" of having PLENTY of gargle was my MO.

Public transport is by no means the sole domain of the drunks and failures, it is now socially very appropriate for everyone, and people with perfectly nice cars at home, choose to drive. They read and relax on their way to work, instead of crying in gridlock and choking the trees.

We were mostly born with legs, we can manage just fine w/out a car. I am picking someone up in the next town to go to a meeting in another town this evening. I am very grateful for that. I would manage fine without a car, but would not be able to get to meetings. Rural Ireland. We don't have so many donkeys anymore.

ps. I wanted to say, that my parents, with all their "oddities" are very generous. They are never going to ask how I am feeling or if I am dating anyone or anything like that, but if I go and say I need 1000 Euro, it would be handed to me no questions asked. I took the car feeling that it was the least they could do and gave it back thinking, I am glad that they got the opportunity to feel good about helping me!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd be lost here on the prairie without my own transportation. Although I live "in town", the town only has 1000 people, one grocer, one pharmacy, etc. If I need to really 'buy' anything else besides the basic necessities of life I have to drive at least 40 miles. Even my rehab was that far. There is just nothing here. I can walk to the PO or the gas station for cigarettes if need be...but there is no choice in selection here.
I would think that if you didn't 'need' your car it might be kind of refreshing not to have the expenses and headaches of owning a car. BUt I don't know what kind of area you live in.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by stacylove View Post
I must admit when I'm riding the bus I think to myself "Are some of these ppl on here drug users and DUIers...
Yes quite likely, and they are some of the nicest people I know. One thing I can truly be grateful for is dropping prejudices about 'those people'. When you walk into a meeting and there is a guy who lived under a bridge sitting next to a guy who spent 20 years as a judge it opens your eyes.

As far as driving goes, I am seriously considering get rid of mine. I can no longer deny the violence inherent in driving.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
Yes quite likely, and they are some of the nicest people I know. One thing I can truly be grateful for is dropping prejudices about 'those people'.
Yeah, I like to think that there are no bad people -just good people that have made bad choices. Everyone has a story to tell...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, some of you are still making judgements about people who use mass transit. It's such a US thing. It's kind of sick and makes me angry. OOOOps. I better go deal with my resentments.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No drinking/driving issues here but I wanted to share that for about 7 months back in 2009 I did not have a drivers license since I had moved overseas and yes it was frustrating due to lack of freedom to come/go as I pleased but I just strapped on the backpack and walked where I could, carpooled and whatnot. After that period I shared a vehicle with my spouse and his military bag was brutal since I had to always be available for him and drove him in at odd hours and what not and that went on for many more months.

I have been carless many times over the years and I know all about biking, walking, etc. I wasn't ashamed of it.....actually as long as I get where I need then who cares. No one looked at me funny

All the best!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have never owned a car.