Notices

New

Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

I've lurked for several years on and off--sometimes for myself, sometimes for my boyfriend. I posted once before quite some time ago about issues with my boyfriend's addiction. But I've finally decided its time to deal with mine.

Growing up, I was a total "good girl." Never did the high schooling partying thing and had never had even one drink. I was also very shy and had difficulty with social situations. I started college at a hard partying school in a hard partying city. I discovered that alcohol made me less shy and more "fun." I very quickly started drinking as often as possible (I was still underage.) When I hit 21, the drinking increased. I suspected during college that I had a problem with alcohol and even went to a few AA meetings. But I convinced myself that this was a college phase and surely I'd stop when I got into the "real world."

Well, here I am four years after graduation and my drinking has only gotten worse. I tried moderation many times, as I guess most people here have, and, while it seemed to work for a while, it always got worse again. After a particularly bad night about a month ago, my boyfriend (who has been sober from drug addiction for about two years) told me that he couldn't be with me anymore, if I kept drinking. He loved me, but he hated the person I became when I was drunk. I long ago stopped being fun when I drank.

I was mad for a while, convinced that I was fine. But I started thinking about the mornings when I couldn't recall the night before and was pretty sure that I didn't want to know, the mornings that I did remember what I'd done and was mortified. I remembered the times I'd done stupid things that hurt my friends and family. The drunken antics that had been funny as a college freshman stopped being funny a long time ago. I already knew I was alcoholic, but didn't want to admit it. I wanted to keep drinking, hoping that eventually I'd figure out a way to drink like a normal person. But I already knew that wasn't going to happen.

So, I decided to stop. I've been using Rational Recovery and that's been really helpful for me. It's been around a month and I feel pretty good so far. The only time its really hard is when I'm at home at night alone (my boyfriend works nights). When I was drinking, I usually cleaned off a 1.5 liter bottle of wine in the evenings. I've been reading this forum during those times instead of going to the store for my wine. So, I thought maybe I'd try actually participating instead of just reading.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (and welcome back I guess) Corkycourt
Good to have you on the posting side here!

D
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome -- glad you posted. Congrats on a month!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Welcome Corky,the more posters the better!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are joining your lover on the clean and sober life...
welcome
Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back to the family. Glad you're working on your problem before it gets worse. I stopped for good over a year ago and things have never been better. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Corky and welcome. So glad you decided to stop lurking and start posting!
As you probably know someone is always here 24/7 if you are looking for support in anyway. That's great about a month sobriety. Keep it up and
keep reaching out here. Congratulations.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Corky and congrats on your month, that's great!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Corky!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Corky, I "lurked" too, then I joined and I love the people here. I feel like I always have a place to talk!

Take Care!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Corky - glad you decided to post..... Moderate drinking never worked for me either - it took so much effort and I usually failed.

I'm really glad I made the decision to get sober - it was scary at first, but got a little better every day. Support makes it soooo much easier and you'll get lots of that here!:ghug3