Notices

Wife's out of town, I'm taking care of my 10 month old!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife's out of town, I'm taking care of my 10 month old!

And it's going awesome. It's so nice to be able to sit with him on the floor and just play. I remember when I was drinking it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to sit still. I would have been on the phone, taking him to resturaunts to make the time go by faster, watching TV with him sitting beside me, on the computer, anything and everything to avoid sitting still.

It was so nice playing with him, snuggling, watching his eyes get wide when he finds something new, hearing his laughter, etc... such wonderful beautiful things that are absolutely priceless.

I can't point to an exact reason, but I am so much more involved today than I was 4 months ago. It's not like I didn't want to be either. Being a great dad is something I've always wanted to be, now that I am sober I find myself making that happen much more than I used to.

My wife is coming home tomorrow and that is good. But I will never forget these 4 days we've had alone. Life is good people!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lucky for you it is so early in your son's life.
I have had 4 children who on and off thru the years witnessed my drinking. Not proud, can't change it but I can make things better NOW!!
Good for you...enjoy every precious minute.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you are having this bonding time with your son.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Woo-HOO!

Last night, I went out for ice cream after my meeting with a couple of AA gals, one of whom has a 6-week-old baby--last time I saw her she was HUGELY pregnant. I actually know her husband (also in AA) better than I do her--she goes to different meetings. Both of them have been sober several years--I think he has seven years and she has over ten. Besides the baby, they have a grade-school aged daughter, and she has a son who's a teenager.

Anyway, she has been desperate to get out to her meetings (she normally goes to five or so a week), and she has missed going out after the meetings, seeing her friends (I remember with a new baby, being excited about a trip to the drug store by myself, lol). Anyway, her husband was at home with the baby. He must have called five or six times during our half hour or so at the ice cream place, wanting to know when she was coming HOME, already! Apparently he kinda doesn't know what to do with a baby--she figured she better get home before he made the kid explode from multiple bottles he was giving him.

Sounds like you managed a bit better! It's great that you are such an involved dad--you'd be missing out on a lot if you were still drinking.

Now, make sure the house isn't a wreck when she gets home!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

haha Lexicat. You know one of my recovery tools is cleaning as much as I can for my wife, BUT, and a huge BUT, I don't know if I'll be able to pull this one off LOL. These babies are a lot of work!! I've eaten pizza every night since she left, soda cans laying around, etc.... It's like a bachlor pad + a lot of baby toys LOL... But we're having a great time. I think I can at least get the house in somewhat decent shape before tomorrow!

We'll see...
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, Reggie, good for you. I can totally relate. I feel more engaged with my daughter these days. I'm basically doing the same stuff with her I did before, but I enjoy it more, because I'm really present in the moment, and don't have that shadow following me around anymore. That may be the thing I'm most grateful about.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job Reggie. I have a 15 month old. In my case, being in and out of drinking and hangovers just zapped me of energy and conciousness to enjoy the moments. Nothing better than being a Dad that is on top of his game. This is my first and it's been tough settling in. My Mom passed away 1 month after my girl was born. I am much more patient and engaged now that I am back to being sober. Keep up the good work. Us Dads need to stick together and be a good sober example for our kids.....and also be there to help our wives. It's tougher than I thought to be a parent!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

fantastic Reggie - just fantastic

D
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clashman View Post
Great job Reggie. I have a 15 month old. In my case, being in and out of drinking and hangovers just zapped me of energy and conciousness to enjoy the moments!
Very well said. Describes me to a T. The desire has always been there but the hangovers just seemed to make me unable to follow through for an entire day. Sure I might be able to "suck it up" for an hour or two, but never the entire day.

I think the reason is when hungover I had to try so hard to be engaged, now that I'm sober I just am. It really is the little things that make us happy. Thanks for posting clashman!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

How very awesome for your child!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Reggie! 10 months is just about one of the most delicious ages for a baby. I'm so happy you are soaking it all up. It's cliche but true...it all goes by so fast!