Notices

Nothing is going according to plan

Old 02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nothing is going according to plan

I'm in a bad situation here. I have actively battled alcoholism for over a year now and I'm failing miserably at it. I go 5 days clean and then the relapses have become even worse and I don't know what to do. I wouldn't even call them relapses, they are benders. I'm talking about bottles of liquor and drunk for 72 hours before my body can't sustain another drink. The only thing that stops me is my stomach becomes so sour and I just can't keep it down.

I've started to work out a lot and I'm trying to find a job but no one calls. I go to school full time and I just end up thinking I deserve one bottle, not just a drink.

I don't have health insurance to start a rehab program, and my family is oblivious to how severe things are. I'm a fully functional guy. I've been in the medical field for over a decade and I'm otherwise very normal, I just drink so goddamn much I don't know what to do. I've never explained this, but that's my situation in a nutshell. Anyone have advice?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Frequent relapses and failure of will power are the norm for alcoholics, uro. So is feeling ashamed and hiding the problem from people in your life. Congratulations on taking a first step.

Most people here will be able to identify with you. Not having a job sucks....I imagine a lot of people these days will understand that as well.

I don't have health insurance either. There are many inexpensive or free programs out there - AA, Smart Recovery, church-based programs...also some counties have low-cost mental health or substance abuse programs.

Try googling Sacramento + Alcoholics Anonymous/substance abuse/low cost counseling.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's tough without medical insurance, I know, I have none either. But rehab is possible, often thru local agencies. Mine was. I'd look into AA too, there's a lot of hope and recovery in those rooms. If you really want to quit for good, I'd go to some meetings. Seriously. At the rate you're going something bad is going to happen, it's a matter of 'when', not 'if'.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop.

The Salvation Army offers free rehab in most cities and that might be a good place to start and it has info on your city's location:

Find a Center
Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi urowizz

For me the only way to change my life was to change it...that meant reaching out and asking for help in my case.

I hope you'll look at the link Anna posted...I also hope you'll think about seeing a doctor because detox can be tricky for some of us.

There are a number of free clinics in your states I believe....

There's also free options as well. Have you thought of or tried AA or some other recovery group yet?

I know you'll find a lot of support here in any case

Welcome
D
Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Urowizz...I understand how you feel...my last binge cost me my job.
But what I did was keep an upbeat positive attitude and made a phone call to the local counselor and rehab center. They did an evaluation on me and because I'm not working I qualify for the state program.
My parents (who live 1000 miles away) never knew of my prolem for the past 30 years. My Mom asked how the job was going and I asked her if she was sitting down. I spilled my guts and told them about everything.
The next day I got a bouquet of flowers from them -Dad wanted to make me smile.
You might be surprised how others react if you are honest with yourself and tell them whats going on.
I'm glad you're here...I just got here myself but am enjoying this info. Stick around.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - I'm glad you posted and want to get your life back.

You'll find lots of ideas and suggestions here and great people who know what you're going through. Getting as much help/support as you can will make a big difference - it's really tough to tackle this on our own.

Hang in there and take it one day at a time!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

I was doing that 72 hour drinking thing too.

I went hard at AA and counselling (free). Just immersed myself in recovery.

I have been sober for over 3 years and life is sweet!

It's a MAJOR change that requires MAJOR action. Swearing off is not going to work.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you want to improve your future
I know mine sure did after I quit drinking...

To actually stay quit...I have been AA involved for years.
Works great for me.

Welcome to SR....
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats what happens, "the plan" turns out to be what you least expected. At least in my case. Hang in there. It gets better.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm sure there are free and low-cost outpatient programs in your area.

The very best option, though, IMO, costs nothing: AA. A lot of people feel like that's a drastic solution--well, in some ways it is, since it involves changing our lives. But that's really what it takes to be HAPPILY sober as opposed to simply not drinking--if you just try not to drink, without changing your life, you will in all likelihood eventually go back to it.

I'm going to give you a couple of links that might help you make up your mind. Here's an online version of AA's "Big Book". Try reading the first 164 pages and see if they make sense to you.

The other link is about what to expect at your first AA meeting. It's very informative, and helps dispel some of the fears and misconceptions people might have about AA.

It's an awesome way to live, believe me.