Notices

When is it ok to drink?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Hey TL
I didn't think I was going to post for a while, but this situation changed that thought.

IMHO, an alcoholic is simply that. Whether your 12 or 92, the effects of alcohol has that effect on your body that doesn't occur in non-alcoholics. If you fall into that category, it is an impossibility to ignore the physiologically effects when liquor is ingested. You may, at times exhibit the ability to control with having just a couple of drinks, but inevitably, that control will quietly slip away, without your total awareness, leaving you shackled and chained to alcohol addiction.
I would love to be able to have a glass of wine with my wife from time to time, but that idealistic notion will default to the fact that alcoholics can never control the beast.
You're young with a lot of wonderful life ahead of you. Don't allow the pain and anguish of alcoholism to undermine your relationships, health, and happiness. Take it from a man that has battled this for 45 years, it is no joyride to the self-inflicted degeneration. Leave the bottle and take a deep breath of fresh air.

Live for life, not the bottle. Best wishes, my friend

Peace
Padraic
Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

tigerlover is there any reason why you want to drink only on special event? Do you feel left out if your not drinking alcohol? Most people don't care if someone drinks or not. If you know you have a drinking problem then why push it even more. If you want to drink then go for it but don't feel presser just because your not 21.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Your evidence seems to be against you being able to drink socially...what do you think, could you drink socially?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
... Is it ok to drink only on holidays like non alcoholics do?
Just as soon as someone invents a time machine that will allow us to go back to a time when we were NOT ALCOHOLICS LOL!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
im 21, been an alcoholic for 9 years now. Is it ok to drink only on holidays like non alcoholics do?
once an alcoholic.........always an alcoholic

Drinking is no longer an option for me!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danae View Post
Hi,

For me, the answer is NO, I can't drink just on special occasions. I've learned that the hard way. I agree with the others who say this is true for alcoholics.

But here's the thing, I found how much EASIER it was to give up alcohol entirely, rather than making exceptions for special occasions and holidays. It isn't on the table as an option at all.

This means I can relax. There is no more bargaining with myself (Maybe I can drink on Christmas and birthdays? I can drink with friends if it is for a celebrations but only one drink?) I don't waste energy thinking about it and making up rules that often get broken. I'm much happier.

Try thinking about how it would feel to "celebrate" holidays by not obsessing about drinking. How great it would feel to wake up the next day and feel well, and proud of yourself. Just my two cents
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense I think. I've been having the same question as OP these past few days.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Is it ok to drink only on holidays like non alcoholics do?

Nope.