Notices

got a new job don't I deserve a drink to celebrate?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inafishbowl View Post
I think I heard somewhere to be careful of the highs as well of the lows.
This was very true for me. I would work hard, land a new project and then - the party was on. This is not recovery this is your disease at work. Don't give into it.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

doublecheck, just by telling us that you don't want a hangover that you don't want to drink to celebrate. It sounds like you want to get drunk to celebrate. To different things. Just pointing that out.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If you read between the lines what I was actually conveying was that if he drinks and cannot handle it (which he probably cannot as he is an alcoholic) it WILL **** up his life. Like it has done to so many of us.

I can see now my post was a bit obscure so I apologise but I tried to give a balanced opinion.

Take care all.

R
Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
What do you guys do in these situations?
When i finally did a huge amount of work on myself to effect a drastic change in personality i didn't feel the need to have a drink to celebrate or wallow in self pity...

Before that i would have ended up drinking, probably not on the first day i wanted to though...
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
I have been sober for 9 weeks and have been doing really good. I have been able to do the little things I use to hate doing because I am not hungover. I even speak clearer now and don't get my words mixed up like I use to.

I even got a better job today that I really wanted and now sober know I can do a great job at! Now that brings me to the question. I was so thrilled I got the job that I felt like I should drink to celebrate. My body doesn't want me to drink because the next day I feel like cr*p, but my mind was telling me I deserve to drink and celebrate. What do you guys do in these situations? I decided to buy my wife dinner and had a glass of soda and I kinda feel that I deserve a drink. I apologize that this entire post is self-centered, just trying to do something other then drink.
bad thought
Old 02-19-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just wanted to thank everybody for there posts. You guys don't even know me and you have taken the time out to try to help its humbling.

I agree that I associate having a drink with getting drunk. I don't understand the concept of having one... whats the point.
I am going to pass on the idea of having one doesn't work. It actually doesn't even make sense even for a regular person there is really no tangable benifit to having one.