Notices

Wanting to quit with my spouse

Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just found this post through an internet search. My husband and I are both very heavy drinkers. I want to quit. We've both talked about it, but it usually turns into exceptions or bargains...okay, no shots in the house, but beer and wine is okay...or well, only on weekends. Eventually this puts us back to square one and we're back to a fifth a liter or on bad days the 1.75. I know I've gotten much worse over the years. It used to be that he was the alcoholic and I might have a drink or two on the weekend, but now I keep up with him.
My skin on my face is red and I'm sure other people notice booze breath at work. We work at the same place so sometimes we're pushing a piece of gum at the other or taking a 1/2 day after a particularly hard night. That's what I'm doing today so I was doing a web search while waiting for the clock to tick so I can go home and sleep it off. I'm terrified of quitting and my husband not following suit. What if I can't stand to be around him? What if I can't deal with the temptation? These feel like genuine concerns and not just excuses. It's hard to tell anymore. Either way, I can't handle this anymore. I need help.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There are a lot of us out there. I feel somewhat responsible for my husbands drinking. When I met him we worked for the same local company and I knew him for several years before we got serious. I took him out for his birthday and we got hammered...had a great time and it escalated from there. He used to drink socially but our drinking grew into a habit and save for the times I was pregnant, we have had quite the time of it for eight years. At this point I think the both of us are ready to quit for the long haul. My fear is that we both will struggle and become each other's relapse partners. Both of us are very fond of drinking. I am so glad he doesn't use drugs illegally....that would probably mean a separation.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome evilk

It's natural to play the what if game...but turn it on its head for a minute...what if you don't stop drinking...how viable are your lives and your life together 5 years from now, 10, 15, 20?

Recovery is a leap of faith...it means taking the leap and trusting things will not only be alright, but better.

I've never heard anyone who's experienced recovery say they wished they'd never stopped drinking

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here
Feel free to start your own thread if you like too

D
Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat my friend. I'm taking the lead in this journey. I am going to set an example for my wife and do my best to support her. I have four days as of tonight however, she is passed out after to much wine after work. I wish you two the best and you are both in my prayers.

Shawn
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

evilk....NC....Navy ...Welcome ...

Wishing all of you and your spouses
the peace and joy of sobreity