Notices

New girl just starting recovery

Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you see your dr too as detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In my experience, it's impossible to wean myself off something I am powerless over.

I needed to be separated from alcohol and medically supervised as my body detoxed.

I hope you can do it, but I recommend if more than a couple days of "weaning" extend into a week of weaning, you might be unable to do this.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sweetie, you haven't really gotten hateful posts. What you have gotten, if you take a look at them, is just our own experience. If someone tells you they almost died detoxing...well, maybe that is something to listen to. (???)

Recovered folks are supportive, but....they are honest. Sometimes the things my sponsor in AA says just makes me want to strangle her. But, a few hours later, or a few days, and I know she is right.

This is not going to be an easy trip. Getting sober and staying sober is probably the most important thing you are going to do in your life. It is not like filing your nails: it is big deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi UTgirl... People share their experiences only in the hope that you will see something to help you get and stay sober. The best thing about SR is the unity and support and everyone has different ways to get to the same goal...get alcohol out of your life. I think it is hard to understand how you can keep any alcohol in your system without constantly wanting more. You have to do what works for you. If you find that this is putting you in constant withdrawal then you have other ideas for a plan B. I wish you well...please keep posting.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Here are two things I did.

1. I got medical help.
2. I didn't care what my medical records said. With HIPPA laws it's not a big issue.

With medical records your choice may come down to this.

A. Die with nice looking medical records (although the cause of death listed on your death certificate may say something about alcohol use anyway).
B. Live with alcoholism listed in your medical records.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UTgirl20 View Post
Well it's working for me. Haven't had a drink in 10 hours. Thanks for all the hateration. Figured recovered folks would be supportive in anyway possible. Oh well. Wishful thinking.
I don't think you realize what you are expecting from us. You are expecting us to support you in a decision that can be potentially deadly. Alcohol withdrawals do kill and many of us have either flirted with death or know someone who has died from alcoholism and addiction.

We all have been supportive of you and noone is hating on you. However, you are upset since we have not supported you in the way you wanted to be supported, which is drinking more. I realize it is upsetting not getting the support that you expected. I used to get upset when this happened. It was upsetting when I sought out help, but the help wasn't on my terms. One thing I have learned in sobriety is that many people are helpful. However, the help that they offer is not always on my terms.

Your description of your withdrawals is serious and many of us are concerned for you. Weening yourself off of alcohol with more booze is feasible, but it is risky for people like us.

I wish you the best and hope you find recovery since it is truly a wonderful gift.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UTgirl20 View Post
Well it's working for me. Haven't had a drink in 10 hours. Thanks for all the hateration. Figured recovered folks would be supportive in anyway possible. Oh well. Wishful thinking.
Actually it's called denial.

You don't have to take our word for it, all of this info is available online.

Support wouldn't involve helping you to maintain your denial, supporting your alcohol 'problems' is commonly referred to as 'enabling', also a term that you can easily research.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

numerous times I have attempted to have one beer to ease the hang over and it has turned in to yet another 12-16 hour drinking binge.

And ut:

We all have gotten some tough love on here before. maybe your strategy works for you... but for a majority of people that is probably the worst thing you can do.

When i first came to this site I was in an extremely low place. The people here were kind supportive, yet they still let me know that my behavior was no longer acceptable (if i wanted to change). Many of the people on this site have gone through AA, Couseling, etc.... They know what they are talkling about.

I personally have nearly had seizures from withdrawal. The people on this site do not want to see that happen to you... that is all. In fact it is the opposite of "hating" it is genuine care and concern.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I agre with seeing a Dr. As far as weening yourself off, if you truly are an alcoholic, that will be next to impossible. For alcoholics, it's much harder to have 3 drinks than it is to have 0. It's the way our bodies eliminate (or actually not eliminate) the alcohol that causes the craving. I see two things at work here. First is your withdrawl from alcohol (shakes, vomitting, etc.). Those symptoms are what a Dr. can help you with. Second is the "weening off". That would be sheer hell for me. To me, the most important thing would be to get detoxed (safely). The Dr. can help you do that. From there, stay clear of alcohol and get into recovery so you'll never have to detox again!

Just my two cents...
Old 02-12-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's funny. I always read a person's post, then comment on it immediately without reading the responses. I then always go back and see if my thinking was in line with the mass's. And it certainly was! Funny how we alcoholics all think the same.

UTgirl20 - you are talking to experts on this topic. That's not bragging, that's just a fact. We are part of a very small sample of people that actually know what you're going through. It's not "hateing" (that's just a form of your ego that says that) it's sharing our experience and what we've learned. 5 oz's of liquor is not weening. I'd also be willing to bet my house, car, boat that I don't have, etc... that you drank more than 5oz's of alcohol today. Once you water the plant, you can contain how big it grows.... That's alcoholism girl... We know the deal here. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think UT girl has made her intentions clear.
I also think there's enough viewpoints here to be representative.

Time to move on

D