Notices

The Big Book, Nookbook, iBook or kindle

Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Book, Nookbook, iBook or kindle

So I have downloaded the big book as an app on my iPad. I would prefer it to be as a digital book so I can highlight and take notes. But it looks like the most recent edition (4th) isn't available. Can I find it someplace else other than amazon, barnes and noble or iBooks? I'd also like to download the 12 & 12 as well.
The first 164 are the same but the remaining are different I've read in reviews. Any alcoholic nerds out there know something I don't know?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi---don't know the answer but it is a great question!

Hope someone out there can help.

D
Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

If you don't find a techie on here who can help you out, email the literature folks at aa.org and ask.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Went to aa.org site. Silly, really. You can read it online from the website, but you can't download the 4th edition. You can only get the 1st or second. If anyone ever comes across the 4th edition PDF or download, I'd love to know where. I am a techie nerd, but suspect this will become a more common question as time passes by.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the Big Book on my kindle... Not sure, but I think it is the 4th ed, but not sure, I just searched the kindle store for "Alcoholics Anonymous" and found it.

Not much difference in the editions except for the stories in the back.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mark, according to the reviews it's the 1st or second depending on which one you downloaded. Could be wrong though.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yea, I see in the kindle store... it's the "Kindle Edition"... hmm.... it should be free then!!

I don't know if you will find the fourth ed. electronically available in the full versions... If you check Big Book Online, it is in pdf format for the first part of the book, which means you can just save each section on your computer (pull down file menu and select save as)... then transfer the pdf to your reader... kinda of a PITA though... probably worth the few bucks to download the whole thing to your kindle with full functionality..

AND (interesting)

the stories in the back are HTML format, hmm... looks like AAWS wants to keep those from being easily adopted to kindle...

If you are studying the big book, seems like you only need the first 164 anyway?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Free would be great, but I don't mind paying. I feel kinda strongly that the newest edition should be easily available. I'm very new, so I'm not sure how important the newer version is since it's only the 2nd half that has changed.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my opinion I think you are sweatin' the small stuff... The first 164 is the basic text... and the stories in the back of the first edition are relevant too!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's just nice to sit in a Starbucks and read. The Alcoholics Anonymous book is hardly anonymous, LOL!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like to do that too!! Do you have an e-reader? If so, just make it easy on yourself and get the Kindle edition...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My understanding is that (as of now) the 4th Edition has not been approved for e-publication. No doubt that will change as more people have e-readers. I do have it as a .pdf on my Kindle, and have no guilt about it because I don't distribute it to anyone else and I have purchased one hardcover and two softcover copies for myself (not to mention a few copies for newcomers!).

And Mark is right--it's the first 164 pages that are the most important (though I'd rank Dr. Paul O's story--original in the Third Edition--right up there with Bill's and Bob's stories!). (BTW, that would be "Acceptance is the Answer," originally titled, "Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict" in the Third Edition)
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I loved Dr Paul O's story. I didn't expect to find myself laughing---but in a good way. His later insight on his earlier delusional thinking was brilliant.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could only get the 2nd edition on my Nook. I haven't seen the 12 and 12 for the Nook, but there are some other good books on the Barnes and Noble website. Like someone else said, it's the first 164 pages of the BB that really matter. I think you can also get ebooks from the Hazeldon web site although I don't think they are delivered wirelessly, I think you get them mailed to you on a CD and than transfer them to your ereader via your computer.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Zebra, I did find an app "PDF reader pro". Download that and then when you find the PDF's online you can open them in the reader. You can highlight, underline, make notes and bookmark. Here is the link to the PDF

This site won't let me link yet

Www DOT guardureyes.com/GUE/PDFs/The%2012-Steps%20and%2012%20traditions DOT PDF