Notices

Admitting myself tomorrrow HELP!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitting myself tomorrrow HELP!!!

I am very new to this site. I'm a 38 yr old male that's been drinking since i was 15...i've been "pink slipped" twice which wwere both horrible ways to detox...i was put in 5 point restaints both times, catheter, constant blood work and NO THERAPY! Just a holding bin! It was hell. my bac was .0436 the 1st time and 0.260?? Can't really remember the second one exactly?? I'm proactivelyadmitting myself to a recovery clinic this time as opposed to a hospital/psyche ward and i'm stressed. I called today and i mentioned my hesitance because of my previous detoxes...She claimed no blood work no drama just a detox with therapy and med adjustments....they're also kicking me off xanax for anxiety and are going to put me on librium...ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT TO EXPECT AT A RECOVERY CLINIC AS OPPOSED TO A HOSPITAL!Yeah i'm afraid!!!

Last edited by mesh12121; 02-02-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Good for you for making the choice to take care of yourself.

I don't have personal experience at a rehab, but others will be along who can offer advice.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

I'm afraid I have no experience to share, but hopefully someone else will

Wishing you the best mesh
D
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I didn't do inpatient rehab, but I did do inpatient detox for 6 days. I loved it! Basically, you have a structured day which includes checking your vitals 4 times a day, meals, standing in line for meds, classes where you learn some coping skills, visits with a doctor/psychiatrist and stuff like that. I found it to be a wonderful experience and from there, I went to an outpatient (IOP) facility for 6 weeks.

Don't be scared. It's a chance for you to work on your issues, learn a little about yourself, share with others who are going through a lot of the same stuff and just concentrate on how to take care of yourself. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think you're going to be put in five-point restraints, unless you need to be restrained.

I was detoxed at a rehab. I was on librium for about five days (which allowed me to sleep and not be in typical detox agony). They woke me every night several times to check my blood pressure. Other than that, I was allowed to be part of the patient population-- attend meetings, seminars, meals, etc.

Your anxiety is high-- that's normal. Concentrate on your breathing-- really try to slow yourself down a bit, and take long, slow deep breaths. In through the nose, out through the mouth.

And try not to worry-- I suspect you're going to be treated much better than you were in your other circumstances.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is NO comparison between hospital detox and rehab detox in a treatment center. The treatment in the hospital is only to make sure you don't die in DT's, traditional hospitals are not equipped for recovery. Once the danger of the withdrawal is over (based mainly on your level of consciousness, your vitals and your lab work), you're discharged and well, on your own. They really don't give a sh!t about your "recovery, or therapy" (that's not what they do).

Rehab detox is ALL about rehab. It's the sole purpose of the place. Hopefully you will have admitted yourself for several weeks of treatment following your detox.

All I can say is that rehab was one of the best things that ever happened to me in my life next to the birth of my 3 kids!

Good for you!
All the best.....
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Glitter is right. Hospitals are all about getting you stable and then getting you out the door. In a detox treatment facility, you get so much more. You don't suffer through detox strapped to a bed, you are given meds to ease your discomfort, monitor your vitals several times a day and they feed you well. They frown upon those who want to just lay in bed all day. You are expected to attend and participate in the classes and work on recovery. Again, it was a great experience for me and if (God forbid) I ever were to again find myself in that situation, I would return to that facility again. It was a tremendous help and I never felt any uncomfortable withdrawals.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. All I can say is that our deepest fear's rarely happen. You are going to be around professional's that see cases like yours on a daily basis.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish you the best. I have been in rehab several times, but it is the last time when I admitted myself. It was the best thing I every did for myself. I didn't stay the 4 wks because I had other medical issues come up. I left a little over a week early. I still learned a lot.

Yes, I have bad days since then and had the desire to use but so far I'm still clean! I started using when I was 11 yrs old. I did go for 6 yrs without, but relapsed last Feb. It by all my friends tell me it is the worst I every been. I was ready to kill myself because I ran out of pills and had no money to buy any heroin. I called my therapist and told her I need her to find me a place to go the next day. I knew then I had to do it for me or I will be dead.

Do what they tell you. This is your time. It will be hard and painful, but you will come out a better person. I wish you the best.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

trust the Professionals at the detox mesh.. you are doing the right thing..
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did do a treatment center, for 32 days, which I graduated. I was a fifth (and a quart if FiFi didn't catch me) per day drinker.

Self admittance is the key. You can't get sober for anyone but yourself, since you're the only one always in the room with you.

What to expect: I imagine that they are all the same. You spend some time "detoxing", so you get the meds for DTs, and vitals. Your movements are restricted during that time as for your medical protection.

I made a lot of friends while there. It was funny how the people in their last week seemed like "old-timers" to me. I was so star struck with their accomplishment. Remember, it was only a 32 day program. LOL!!!

The place that I went to here in Florida (since moved here from Utah), had eight foot walls of cinder block. At first I resented them, as well as the "techs" that told me what to do. I was 42 at the time and nobody was going to tell me when to go to bed! By the time I left, I wanted to stay. I loved those walls, and was afraid of the outside. They protected me. I couldn't fail while I was in there.

Today, 15 months later, I look back fondly on my time there. I was scared, but it gave me a time to lick my wounds, and truly take personal stock in what was important to me. I discovered myself, and learned to love myself despite my failings.

What you are about to do is a gift to yourself. You are going to learn to forgive yourself, and love yourself, but not in a selfish way. It will be tough, but if you keep your eyes on the important things in life, and remind yourself of this moment of surrender, you'll do just fine. My best advice to newcomers is to embrace honesty, especially with yourself. Acknowledge your disease. Try to never fool yourself that you can drink again, because next time may never come.

Good luck my brother!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

By the time I left, I wanted to stay. I loved those walls, and was afraid of the outside. They protected me. I couldn't fail while I was in there.

Same here. I didn't want to leave a wrangled an extra day. Insurance only wanted to pay for 5 days but I asked my doctor to please request one more day. He did, and they agreed.

While there, I felt very protected and was around supportive people and I was really scared to death to go back to the outside world where I would have pressures and bills and work and life waiting for me.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

your post kinda freaked me out a bit.....8 foot walls = trapped...oh god (that i don't believe in) what the hell is in front of me? Thank you though.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It'll be fine. Don't be afraid, just do what you know is the right thing. You can see that those of us who have done it are so very glad we did. You'll get the help you need and you just might find that it's not nearly as bad as you feared. In fact, I can promise, it won't be.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frenchconnectio View Post
I made a lot of friends while there. It was funny how the people in their last week seemed like "old-timers" to me. I was so star struck with their accomplishment. LOL!!!
Ain't that the truth!! LOL!

At first I resented them, as well as the "techs" that told me what to do. They protected me. I couldn't fail while I was in there.
I thought for sure that I would have to resolve my resentments about my rehab facility in my 4th step. As time went on - I am 229 days sober today - I came to have so much respect and appreciation for that place! No resentments.

Today, 15 months later, I look back fondly on my time there.
I look back fondly now as well. Part of my program included a full year of aftercare/process group one night a week. So I still get to go every thursday night. Also every monday there is an alumni meeting - it's an AA/NA combined sort of meeting. Four of us women who went through treatment together meet once a month to go to dinner and then to the meeting to collect our chips! Priceless!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I echo all the previous statements about checking your vitals, pill time, classes with addiction counselors, meetings with therapists, group meals, maybe a little TV time at night. I checked myself into a facility, and the first night I was bouncing off the walls, calling people to come pick me up and trying to figure out an escape plan.

Guess it didn't matter to me at the time that I had voluntarily checked myself in.

But it can be a great experience, if you really listen to the professionals in there, have an open mind and heart and give your best effort toward retaining all the information and applying it to your life.

Good for you for being proactive and making this very difficult decision. I wish the best for you, and you'll be in my prayers.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mesh12121 View Post
your post kinda freaked me out a bit.....8 foot walls = trapped...oh god (that i don't believe in) what the hell is in front of me? Thank you though.
LOL!!! Sorry if it startled you. I was just as shocked myself. I arrived at night, so waking up to that set my thoughts back. There were three orange road cones in the driveway, no gate. It was funny how those orange cones subconsciously became a wall too.

You'll be able to leave if you want to, but will you want to. Try and remember that you are there on your own volition. What is inside the walls, will help what's inside your head. Where I went to wasn't a lock down facility. Ironically, we had people that would climb the walls at night to sneak to the store. Why the hell would they come to just try and use?

I met this gal from NM, who was telling me how she was planning on drinking the bev cart empty when she went back. I told her that she was nuts for being there. Just think of all the fun that she was missing out on. Why would she want to spend 32 days for nothing? Wasted/lost time in my opinion.

I like that scene in the movie 'Fight Club', where they make the recruits stand on the porch for three days to prove they want in, that they are committed to the cause. Give yourself the time there to decide if this is the life for you. After a week and a half, I decided that I was going all-in. Basically, I made my choice for sobriety when I was sober, not wallowing in a pit of guilt. I used that time to lick the wounds of self.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mesh, no clue about detox clinics, as I have not been through it. Without being a chemist, that BAC level you referenced from the past sounds deadly. I'm glad you signed up for it, and I hope you will come back here when you are out. I can't help you not to be scared, but remember you did this for yourself, and that's a good thing. Not everyone is so lucky to be this proactive. As you are freaking out, keep telling yourself this is why you are not putting yourself through the drinking/abuse again.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I didn't read any posts... but here's my experience with Rehab... I think you meant rehab correct?

They are usually 28 days, mine was. You stay there and you usually have a roommate and share showers, bathrooms, etc. They wake you up at 6, and you go to classes all day until 9 o'clock and lights out at 10, they help you with coping mechanisms, they do AA meetings, sometimes you go out for excercise. In my rehab there was no TV, and you couldn't use the phone for the first week. You can't smoke either. They have lots of puzzles and tons of food, it's not like jail at all, so that's good...

Try and make some new habits, I worked out, worked on my spirituality, and mainly talked to other people. Don't get caught up in the drama, because believe me, with a place full of addicts there is gonna be some drama, don't get suckered into it, you are there to help yourself, don't let clowns bring you down. I learned a lot from rehab, and I'm glad I went, I also committed myself. I will pray for yoU! You will notice a big difference once you get out, and if anything, at least it gives you a month sober and a clean head and tools to use once you get out.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I have been to some detox centers which is a place to get off your DOC then treatment I have been in what they call a spin dry which is 28 days. My last treament center was for 3 months it was a lockdown facility and it was pretty much the last stop before prison. Treatment is like anything else you can go in there and change your whole life and come out a different person, or you can go in there and be the street you who is just into the game. For me it was the last place before prison or death, and my disease was so uncontrolable I had to be locked up cause I couldn't trust myself to do the right thing. I was on self destruct and I had to get away from the dope/booze, and lifestyle that goes with it, long enough for some sort of positive forces to start. It can be a miracle or it can be hell, its all your choose and your a=tude. I suggest stick with the winners people who really want to change. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but oh well worth it for someone who was a 30,60,90 day relapser I now have close to 7 years. Keep the Faith

Last edited by newby1961; 02-02-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling