Notices

I slipped....feel horrible

Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I slipped....feel horrible

I went three days, and just down right slipped, went out and got drunk. Woke up from a phone call from my father at 7 am saying that my Mom was in the Hospital, almost had a stroke...feel likes it's karma or something, I'm all outta whack right now and feel horrible, mentally and physically
Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sorry to hear that, Jedi. Hope you will get right back on track immediately.

Interesting comment about karma. Karma isn't about what you "deserve" but it is about the natural consequences of our actions. Your drinking didn't cause your mother to almost have a stroke, but it did contribute to your own suffering and your inability to respond as you presumably would have liked to.

Hope your mom (and you) are both better soon.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry your Mom is unwell...

Lot's of us slipped ..don't keep it going.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your mom JT...my best wishes for her quick and complete recovery.

Best wishes to you too. Many of us falter at the start....in my experience the best thing to do now is think about what went wrong and why....and then move on...start again.

What can you add to what you've been doing to help ensure this doesn't happen again?

D
Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she's alright.

That 4th day was always killer for me, too. It took many attempts, and all the torment that comes with it, to finaly get sobriety.

Don't give up, and don't beat yourself up over it.

Best to you and your family.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im really sorry about your mom. I took 2 huge steps backwards this month and it feels awful. Remember we cnt change the past....just move forward.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was unable to stop slipping until I submitted to the AA program of recovery. Until that point, it was hopeless. Going to AA meetings and sharing didn't help. Making coffee didn't help. The steps helped me recover. I don't want to drink anymore.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a terrible thing to wake up to. Especially at 7am after a long night.

A question though...if you were certain your next drink would cost your Mom another stroke, how long could you stand to do without taking that drink, despite what if would mean for her? Do you believe knowing that you truly could stand reality all the time for 12 whole months?

Most drunks can't stand to live without a drink for very long, no matter what the cost might be to others. It's what the worst kinds of guilts spring from. But, we do know very well how to temporarily get rid of guilts.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jedi, I'm sorry about your Mom. I hope you can get back on track. You and your family are worth it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Hope your mom feels better soon.

Might I ask what you are doing to stay sober? Quitting is the easy part its staying quit that takes work. In my experience and what I've seen here some type of program is virtually essential to not just quit but experience a happy sobriety. There are many programs out there...you can even come up with your own (this takes a. Lot of extra work though)...so what are you doing?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your mom. When I first admitted i was an alkie it was suggested that I go to an AA meeting, get phone numbers, get a sponser, and not drink one day at a time. Please do not beat yourself up to badly. For me I have had slips-but you do not ever have to drink again, and can have a good sober life. Glad you shared and i will be praying for you and your mom.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sorry to hear about your mom and hope she recovers soon. I'm sure a hangover made it that much harder to deal with.

I used to "forget" how bad the mornings were after about 4 days, too. One thing I love about sobriety is that I know I won't be drinking or hungover when those little (or big) surprises come up.

I agree with the others - don't beat yourself up. Use your slip as just another indication that you have a problem with alcohol and need to put sobriety on top of your priority list. You can do it (and you'll get that motivation back when you feel better in a day or two).
Old 01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all, no drinking today, Mom's gonna be ok, just drained. Looong day, zero interest in having a drink
Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that your mother is doing well.

And, I'm glad you had a sober day.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your mom, glad she's gonna be ok. Try not to beat yourself up to much over slipping, today's a new day.