Notices

Not sure where to end or begin.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure where to end or begin.

Hi. My name is Sarah. I have struggled with drugs and alcohol since I was 15 years old. Got mixed up in the wrong crowd and that's where my downfall first started. It's not been constant since that age. I have managed to get off of it for long periods of time. Recently, I messed up a year and a half of being clean. Yes, I have drank here and there since then. A few months, I started taking pills again .. any kind that was available. I'm not too sure where to start again with getting clean. Recently, my life decided to crumble all around me and I'm now in a deep dark hole. I wanna get a hold of myself before I end up spending years trapped in this vicious cycle again. But, I guess the number one problem is that I am completely alone and do not know where to start this time. Thank you for your time.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI Sarah and welcome. SR is a great resource, and for me, AA was and is a must. You are not alone in this. There are many others, here, NA, and AA, who are willing to help. In fact, it helps us to help you. Just remember, you are not alone in this.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you very much. I really do appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Sarah - welcome to SR!

Why don't we say you started when you wrote this post? Seems like a great first step to me. And you're not alone, not when you're here. I found this site on my first day sober. That was just over a month ago, and the folks here have been a key part of my plan for recovery.

There are a lot of wise folks here. Some have used AA and NA, others have used other programs, and others rely on SR as their main source of support. You'll get some great advice and insight here.

You can do it—and life can get a whole lot brighter. There's plenty of living proof of that right here!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum - It takes courage to reach out, so give yourself a pat on the back for that. It sounds like you had some good clean time.... did you use any kind of program?

I know it's easy to feel hopeless when things are crashing around us. When I quit drinking it took a little while to get back on an even keel - especially emotionally. But things rapidly improved and even though my life isn't rosy, I have myself back.

Take it a day at a time. If we can do it, you can too! Oh, and there's a section on the forum for substance abuse - you may want to check it out:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. YOu're not alone here. We've been thru similar situations and we understand. Posting your desire to get clean again is a good start.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah,

Welcome!

I hope you don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Have you talked to your dr? Sometimes that's a good place to begin. We have a lot of support here, so I hope you will continue to read and post.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Hi Sarah, Im sorry that you are alone and scared. Why not make some friends here to help you.
It was only the other night my eldest son was telling me that his biggest mistake with drugs and alcohol was the people he was hanging around with. He is 27 now and it has taken him some years to finally work out that he didnt need those people and his drug choices. He needed his family.
Im not sure If you have any family members that you can lean on or get some support from too, I hope so. Keep strong as I hear you wanting help. You can do it honey with support here from many wonderful people, keep reading and posting.
JJ
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah

There's some great advice here
Welcome to the boards

D
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clean since Dec. 1st, 2010

Talking Hi Sarah!

Hello and welcome!!!
I'm glad you found this forum and I hope that it helps YOU as much as it has helped ME!
I know how it is to feel hopeless. Hopelessness certainly makes you feel like you cannot get better, like you will never be able to pull yourself out of that dark place.
Luckily for us ALL there IS hope! I know that for myself I needed a starting point or a manual of some kind to start the process of recovery.Since life dosent come with directions I think that the SR forums are a GREAT place to start on the road to recovery!!!
Welcome and please keep posting and read as much as you can here on the forums...it really does help!!!
Remember-YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Last edited by UAreMySunShine; 01-18-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah!

Glad you are here with us
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To everyone that has responded, thank you very much. And I really do appreciate it. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone and this isn't the end of the world.

artsoul - No. I actually got clean on my own. One day, I finally realized that I had lost everything and everyone that was important to me. And I knew that I could no longer choose drugs and alcohol over my family. Thank you for the link and I will be sure to check that out.

Anna - Thank you. And no, I haven't mentioned this to many people. Because I always feel so ashamed. Especially with this not being my first or second time of relapsing.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know first-hand how the shame and guilt can prevent you from getting well. I spent far too long bogged down in my addiction because I was too ashamed to even admit to myself that I couldn't manage. Take a leap of faith and know that you can do this.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anna - you're right. It's just hard to disappoint your family once again. I dunno. I have to admit to all of this or I will never make progress.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Joining us can be the beginning of your new life.
all my best as you move forward..