Notices

Day three... Almost through the worst of it

Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day three... Almost through the worst of it

Hey all!

First of all, I just want to say what a huge help this site has been. I am extremely confident that I am going to beat this thing.

Also, I am not asking, nor do I don't want medical advice here

I just want to know others experiences with the benzo drugs... Valium, etc...

I'm on day three, and I'm 'feeling' like I kind of want to take another valium, (as prescribed), but I also don't want to get hooked on those. (as I hear, those are brutal to get off of, as well)

Did others have a hard time getting off their relaxants? (can't remember the names of the others)

I'm only having a very slight shakiness in the hands and a tad bit of agitation and anxiety. My doc only told me to take them when I felt like I needed, and to be careful with them, as they were addictive.

Just curious with other's experiences. I want to be very smart about this.

Thanks!!!
Jerry
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was given a short supply of ativan, another benzo, to get thru the worst of the w/d but not enough to get addicted to them. The first few days are the worst, at least they were for me, and after three or four days was feeling much better and had no need for the benzos anymore. The first few days to a week is the time when w/d can be the most dangerous but after that should be ok. Take as directed but get off them as soon as possible so you'll have no issues with them. If you have any questions or 'issues' with the w/d process please talk to your doctor.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jerry for you day three. I am on day 3 too. Well done. I am feeling a bit irritable and spacey. Not using any meds. I have used Diazapam before with no ill effects, but I was cautious and only used it when really anxious (heart in your throat level). Have you ever tried or heard of Valerian which is a non prescription natural version. I have used Valerian before frequently for meetings etc.. and it worked but that could be a placebo effect.
Anyway keep strong and positive.

Edit: by meetings I meant business meetings.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey jerry. I can't answer your questions but wanted to wish you luck. Congrats on day 3!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys... that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I'm going to do whatever I can to not take anymore of those benzo's and hopefully throw them in the trash tomorrow!

Good luck on your day 3 too! I'm feeling the finish line ahead, and it feels GREAT!

I understand the anxiety can last for a long time, so maybe that valerian could come in handy! I'll do some research. Don't really want to rely on anything though!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The trick with anxiety is to try and ignore it (I am talking about mild axiety here). My mother (a behavior psychotherapist) said a good trick is to focus on other people, a lot of anxiety is caused by self awareness and it becomes a vicious circle, the more you are aware the worse it gets. I used to get it real bad in supermarkets, (dry mouth, increased heart rate the whole works). My expectation was then to get it everytime. The valarian helped. I then just got rid of the association of the anxiety. Anyway focus on other people in that situation. Stupid things like make a list of what they are wearing in your head. It worked for me. I know that there are also cognitive therapy sessions for it. I got anxious today in the supermarket (no valarian). First day out without a beer in my gut for probably 3 years. I thought S**T. Then I remembered "ignore it pretend I have a had a beer". It worked. Valarian takes about 30 minutes to take effect.

Anyway walking past the beer isle felt real good.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember our medical advice rule.
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
This includes over the counter medications and natural remedies.

Even herbal remedies like Valerian can interact with other meds, or may not otherwise be suitable for you.

Please always check with your Doctor first.

D
Old 01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips Muzzwell! I was definitely mildly anxious today a few times.

And it's so funny you so that, I walked to the beer isle by habit yesterday, and I was like WHOA I'm passing it by.

Then I checked out with my food, and was shocked it was so cheap! haha And I still wanted to pull out my ID.