Notices

Sigh... and I was doing so good!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

BC, glad you are back and I hope you can get some resolution to your health issue.

I can't add much to the suggestions in this post but I do urge you to look into getting support. When I relapsed, an injury where I was housebound for a bit of time was the final piece to a horrible bender that I am blessed to have lived through. Like you I was bored, hated feeling helpless and I was just getting into a dark place. While I couldn't exercise and get out per se.....I know if I had support and used it....I wouldn't have gone down that path.

What I did do was pick up, come to SR (on here almost all the time) and got some face to face support. I remember hobbling into my counselor and mumbling how ridiculous it was to have to go but saying....oh why not....obviously its gotta be better then nothing. That was the start - almost 9 months ago and haven't touched a drink, no longer think of it as a solution for anything and have a whole new outlook on life. No fancy miraculous cure for me.....just believing in myself and reaching out to folks to help me. Change isn't over night as we know but folks are doing it and living better lives now by taking a positive chance.

Keep coming here, give support a chance and throw yourself into positive at home activities. This will pass my friend.....you will hopefully get this health issue straightened out and nothing will improve with drinking.

Thinking of you.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I don't think it is so odd you drank and I'm not real sure if its cause you were bored like you tell yourself? I see lots of people relapse after being on narcotics for a medical reason. That is why it is so imperative to have some program behind you and to have a support group in place. Did you tell your Dr you were an alcoholic? When a state of mind is already altered its easy to drink again, cause the disease has been woken up. Our minds don't know it is for a good reason, and its Dr prescribed, it just knows it feels that ease and comfort again. I am talking from experience so I am not trying to be some guru Dr here. I have no degree its all just from what I and countless others have gone through. Keep the Faith
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
I don't think it is so odd you drank and I'm not real sure if its cause you were bored like you tell yourself? I see lots of people relapse after being on narcotics for a medical reason. That is why it is so imperative to have some program behind you and to have a support group in place. Did you tell your Dr you were an alcoholic? When a state of mind is already altered its easy to drink again, cause the disease has been woken up. Our minds don't know it is for a good reason, and its Dr prescribed, it just knows it feels that ease and comfort again. I am talking from experience so I am not trying to be some guru Dr here. I have no degree its all just from what I and countless others have gone through. Keep the Faith
Thank you, all great thoughts! Except when I was in the ER on an IV morphine drip so I could breathe, I had them give me non-narcotic (i.e. NO percocet, NO Vicoden,etc), pain medicine when they sent me home. Not as effective but then no buttoms to push! Taking a narcotice based pain med would just be the start of another road I do not need to walk down!
Thanks!
..Mike

- Oh, and yes, I have _Always_ told all docs that I have an alcohol problem just so they have all the facts. If they do not know, they cannot help me....
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fridaynight View Post
I really like what people already posted here. I am stunned that someone above offered to give you assignments - what a generous offer.

For myself, when my disease is active, I isolate myself. Isolation and this disease seem like natural counterparts. I've also realized that in order to be a happy well balanced human being, I need a certain amount of social interaction every day. I can go without it - I often do - but it's like getting enough sleep. So physical isolation created by circumstances beyond your control is a genuine challenge.

On the other hand, you have to ask yourself if some of the isolation mind-set could be the disease creeping in. There is always a "good" reason to drink, if your disease is becoming active and suggesting reasons.

Another principle that springs to mind has to do with finding ways to get out of yourself and your problems, no matter how much your disease would like you to focus on yourself. I was thinking of a website called Best Friends animal welfare that needs volunteers to do things online.

Anwyay, I'm sure there must be as many ways to combat isolation as there are people "stuck" at home - whether they are handicapped or ill in some physical or psychological way, or caregivers, or maybe just don't have a car. There will always be a good way to recover, if you're disease lets up on you enough for you to hear it.
Good point and that had not occured to me! Since putting down again, when I can get enough breath to talk more than 5 minutes, I have found myself on the phone to various close friends almost every night the past 7-10 days! I think you were spot on, on letting the disease creep back in and try to be my "bestest friend" (again), when in reallity, it will just massively delay my recovery and allow me to wallow deeper into self pity :-( Docs gave me the Ok yesterday to take some quick acting inhalers and start doing 5-15 minutes at a time on light resistance on an exercise bike, so, since that also helped me so much in the past, I will be starting a very regimented plan of getting off my butt and _Moving_ on a much more regular basis. It will be uncomfortable, but, healing usually is in some fashion....
Thank you,
Mike

- I am always amazed at the the tremendous variety of responses I get here at SR that point out such obvious things that my alcoholic brain kept out of my head. Everyone here _Really_ cares and that alone is such an emotional boost!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You can do your best and you can do better than your best if you have to. I hope you stay sober no matter what. Sitting around is a bad idea for any addict. You need to lose yourself in a project or activity that absorbs your attention, and that you can look forward to returning to again and again. I hope you find one soon!!